Mac Mini which system would you keep?
Dec 13, 2014 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Deterministic NL

Head-Fier
I dabbled with Raspberry Pi music servers for a few years then made the move to Mac Mini's which I find far preferable almost all the way across the board. 

I've opted to stick with the late 2012 models due to the 2014 line not being as upgradeable and quite frankly not much of an improvement. 

For economy I bought an i5, 2.5 Ghz system then put an OWC SSD hard drive in it along with the original drive and upgraded to 16 GB of RAM. 

Then read somewhere the i7 late 2012 models were selling for stupid money on Amazon and eBay.  Went into a military exchange somewhere and they still had them on the shelf so I bought them.  All of them and indeed made a few bucks.

I managed to keep one still wrapped in Apple plastic until I decide whether to do the following:

-Keep i5, sell i7 new
-Trick out i7 with SSD and RAM and keep, Sell i5
-Trick out i7 with SSD and Ram and sell it.

All things considered I was running Pi's for years (and still do a bit) and an i5 2.5 GHz system will surely last me for a long long time, but I can't help thinking for longevities sake I should basically keep my "free" i7 Mac Mini.  

What would you do?  I run the Mac Mini headless and control it via another computer with Screen Sharing or via Apps (JRiver, Clementine, etc).  All I use it for is a music server. 

John

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 2
music servers don't really need that kind of power and apple will eventually release a new mini that tops this years marginal upgrade which is what is giving the price advantage right now to the i7.  i'd take advantage of the timing and sell the i7 new and keep the i5 which is plenty good as a headless music server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back