Mac Mini Powercord -- other tweaks?
Nov 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
I know that powercord upgrades to a source can make a significant sonic difference. Has anyone upgraded a mac or mac mini powercord? another other recommended tweaks when using a mac as a source (outputting to DAC via optical)?

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 3
I seriously doubt any change you make to the power cord on a Mac mini would make any sound improvement.
Reasons I say this:
1. So much more power regulation happens AFTER the power cord before it gets to any of the sound circuits that a small increase in input voltage would just be mealiness.
2. If you are using the DAC (ie soundcard) builtin to the Mac mini your source is no where near resolve enough to detect any change.
3. If you are NOT using the soundcard in the Mac mini but instead using an offboard DAC then that alone would negate the improvement.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt any change you make to the power cord on a Mac mini would make any sound improvement.
Reasons I say this:
1. So much more power regulation happens AFTER the power cord before it gets to any of the sound circuits that a small increase in input voltage would just be mealiness.
2. If you are using the DAC (ie soundcard) builtin to the Mac mini your source is no where near resolve enough to detect any change.
3. If you are NOT using the soundcard in the Mac mini but instead using an offboard DAC then that alone would negate the improvement.

The power cord just has to pull power, the power supplies in a computer, providing you invested wisely (read: custom PC), are vastly superior to most power supplies on audio equipment, and should be able to produce great power and surely won't be affected by a power cable. The sheer number of capacitors it has to run through just basically completely negate what you'd get out of a power cable upgrade. It'd be basically for looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back