Mac mini Power supply tweaks
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
Hi Folks
After I bought the PS Audio P10 to power my DAC, KGSShv. Plinius SA-103 power amplifier last month, and hearing how it cleaned up the sound in my gear even more, it got me thinking....

Is there any more (hopefully) affordable gems hidden in the rest of my source gear. I have already got the available tweaks / upgrades done or lined up in my Audio Note DAC. This leaves me staring at my little Mac Mini 2013 model. I run Audirvana+ and get asyncronius direct mode on it, and after trying other software, am sticking with that.

I had read various posts in the past on other sites about the Mojo mods to the Mac Mini itself and the PS, but soon after that company popped up, the negative experiences started coming up. So I shelved it, but recently am coming back to the subject.

Anyway, I have found many very positive responses about this Power supply:

And their Fan Mod:

Anyone tried either of these products.

The Power Supply unit has 2 variable outputs, so for example you could power your DAC with 9V DC and your Mac Mini with the required 12V DC supply from the second output. It retails at $925 so not so cheap, but Linear Power Supplies are not cheap anyway, unless from China with suspect build / life. This unit has 4 years warranty and is made in NY. The company also market the Regenerator USB box, though I don't require that in my system.

Any input would be great guys.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 5
I have two JS-2s and a 2010 Mac mini with the DC-Conversion/Linear Fan Control.  Initially ordered one JS-2 with the mini conversion kit and made the mistake of experimenting with the JS-2 powering my twin Regens and Icron Ranger 2201 (Rex).  The JS-2 was a noticeable step up over the stock SMPSs, so it stayed.

I installed the DC-Conversion/Linear Fan Control when I received the second JS-2.  I am using the JS-2 to power both the mini and my external Firewire storage.  I expected a subtle change, and was quite surprised at the magnitude of the improvement.  In my system, the Mac mini conversion with the JS-2 provided a greater benefit than the Regens, which surprised me.

All in all, I have become a believer in the importance of quality power.

The actual improvement from the JS-2s and the conversion kit was a noticeably lower noise floor with the associated improvements you would expect from that.

This was on my system, with both speakers and headphones.   No regrets whatsoever from any of the UpTone products.  YMMV.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 5
  I have two JS-2s and a 2010 Mac mini with the DC-Conversion/Linear Fan Control.  Initially ordered one JS-2 with the mini conversion kit and made the mistake of experimenting with the JS-2 powering my twin Regens and Icron Ranger 2201 (Rex).  The JS-2 was a noticeable step up over the stock SMPSs, so it stayed.

I installed the DC-Conversion/Linear Fan Control when I received the second JS-2.  I am using the JS-2 to power both the mini and my external Firewire storage.  I expected a subtle change, and was quite surprised at the magnitude of the improvement.  In my system, the Mac mini conversion with the JS-2 provided a greater benefit than the Regens, which surprised me.

All in all, I have become a believer in the importance of quality power.

The actual improvement from the JS-2s and the conversion kit was a noticeably lower noise floor with the associated improvements you would expect from that.

This was on my system, with both speakers and headphones.   No regrets whatsoever from any of the UpTone products.  YMMV.

Thanks for that information Hi Rez. I have ordered the MMK kit from Uptone Audio, but was thinking of getting the cheaper HDPlex PS. It looks the same specs and is less than half the cost of the JS-2. It has R-Core Trans as well as 12v DC and a handy 9V DC for my Evo. Have you heard of any users for the HDPlex? Did you consider that unit? I am wondering why (how) they can make it much cheaper. Let me know if you know anything about it please.

I am excited about the Mac Mini upgrades. I have just installed a PS Audio P10 power regenerator for my DAC and KGSShv and power amp (mains supply). That has made a big difference as well. It seems the best power supply (clean power) affects the sound quite a bit. I know the Lampizator DACs and Audio Note DACs spend at least 50% of the budget on the power supply cost, so that says something.

Thanks again and enjoy your LCD-3s.

A quick question, does the fan supply make any difference to SQ? I can't use that aspect with the HDPlex, though Uptone Audio say it will still work without.
I am not sure if you tried without the auto fan switch on the JS-2 in off and on mode?

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I've considered both the HDPlex and also the Teradak.  My guess is that one would get a large portion of the possible benefit just by switching from the existing Mac mini SMPS to a quality LPS such as these and using the linear fan control provided by the UpTone conversion.  A JS-2 isn't required to get these benefits.  The JS-2 is the only supply though that can use the "Kelvin-sense voltage feedback circuit".  It is also my impression the JS-2 is the "gold standard" of LPSs.  Would the JS-2 provide twice the sound quality improvement as the HDPlex?  Probably not based on the normal diminishing returns in higher end audio products.  Based on the difference quality power has made in my system though, I have no doubt that some listeners on some systems could readily differentiate between a JS-2 and an HDPlex.  I don't know if I could, but I don't have to.  :)

Published specs probably don't tell the whole story.  Also, though your system might not be sensitive to it, the JS-2 was designed to not throw any "noise" back into the AC mains.  That probably isn't the case for the HDPlex.

"does the fan supply make any difference to SQ?"  Just to clarify, the linear fan control will work regardless of the LPS used.  It is just the "Kelvin-sense voltage feedback circuit" that will only work with a JS-2.

Personally, I'd guess you would be quite happy with the HDPlex, and you would get a majority of the potential gains using it.  There is a whole thread on the HDPlex over on CA - a google search will easily find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back