MAC HC and IeGo 70530+8055 Power Cords
Jul 29, 2009 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
These are preliminary comparisons between the MAC (My Audio Cables) HC and IeGo 70530 (base model) power cords.

The MAC HC has been THE power cord for my Bada PH-12 headphone amplifier for over a year now. The IeGo were recently acquired (two for $65 apiece +$30 shipping from Taiwan) in the process of building a budget source/integrated amp/outboard speaker system for my wife. Since her interconnect and speaker cable (ordered from Virtue Audio) had not arrived yet (the IeGo arrived in three days from Taiwan, while Canada Post is going on seven days and counting), I took it upon myself to audition the IeGo in my current headphone system:

--EVS fully modded Oppo HD970
--Bada PH-12 (heavily upgraded/modded by Fitz) w/1x National Union 6SN7GT and 2x Raytheon VT-231 damped with Herbies' Hal-Os
--EVS IC100 UP-OCC copper interconnects
--MAC Source and HC power cables (can be had for $59-$79 +Priority Shipping from NJ on the AudiogoN auctions)
--OneAC and PowerVar AC conditioners
--DakiOm Feedback Stabilizers
--Marigo Signature Disc Mat
--various and sundry isolation, RFI and vibration damping tweaks

--(stock) DT880/2003
--UP-OCC recabled AKG K501
--(stock) Denon D5000
--(stock) AKG K240
--Etymotic ER-4S IEMs

All of these first impressions were gotten with the DT880/2003, and with the Meier crossfeed on the lowest of its three, possible settings.

Music:
Burning Bush: The Best of Yiddish, Klezmer and Sephardic Music
Paul McCartney: Best of
Hiroshima: Go
Tommy James and the Shondells: Best of
Bob James and Earl Klugh: Cool
JVC World Class Jazz Sampler
Marty Robbins: Best of, Vol. 1 (Legacy remasters).
************************************************** **************************************

Fitting the female IEC socket of the IeGo into the Bada took some effort since the clamping force was unrivaled by anything I've used before. To prep the socket, I fit it for a few hours into a two- to three-prong adapter I had on hand in order to relax the bite a bit; it still took a fair amount of force to plug it onto the Bada, once "relaxed". The IeGo cable is more unwieldy than the MAC, but arguably more pleasing to the eye. (We need pictures! I'll try to have some available by the next installment to this review, God willing.)

Initially, I noticed an appreciably sweeter tonality to the IeGo, compared with the more stark and comparatively "neutral"--there goes that word again!--deposition of the MAC. The IeGo had a solidity and vivaciousness to it, especially in the midrange and low frequencies, that the MAC didn't; in particular, the bass apparently came across with more drive, articulation and focus. Performers and instruments were well differentiated by both the IeGo's "enhanced" sense of tonality (already alluded to above) as well as an individuated acuteness as-to their placement in space, which, by the way, was ample. In addition, the IeGo seemed to come across with more verve and PRaT. The downsides for the IeGo were attenuated transients, a feeling of congestion on passages with massed instruments and a touch of upper midrange glare. Mind you, the IeGo had no prior burn-in, so these negatives may abate or even metamorphose into positives over time (if you're a proponent of cable burn-in).

Refitting with the MAC HC brought a decided sense of greater openness from top to bottom. Transients were given more breathing space, bass, while perhaps not as punchily rendered as with the IeGo, was well extended and articulated, and had the proper modicum of bloom. While less sweet-sounding, the MAC sounded more honest and, I suppose, ultimately more believable. Some might think that these qualities of the MAC power cord, in tandem with the "house sound" of the DT880, might be too much of the same, but not me: so there you have an idea of my listening preferences. But also keep in mind that I have had over a year to become accustomed to the MAC power cords. And the IeGo has only a few hours on it.

Right now I'm further running in the IeGo. For the money, I like what this cable has to offer in terms of OCC wire, cryo treatment and sophistication of wire selection, various sizing, etc., so I'm anticipating some pleasant surprises en route The MAC uses a high purity silver-plated copper in a braided configuration and has been one of the best, if not THE best, power cord I've ever used up to this point.

More to come . . .

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Round two, with about 8-10 hours logged on the IeGo 70530.

Music:
Joe Williams: Best of
Erich Kunzel/Cleveland Symphony Orchestra: Tchaikovsky, 6th Symphony
Phil Keaggy: The Wind and the Wheat

The clear tonal superiority of the IeGo is beginning to win me over. Also, the cable is beginning to open up: little or no upper midrange glare, transient response with more detail, soundstage opening up noticeably. Complex passages are well sorted out and differentiated, for example the saxophone ensemble section in "Embraceable You" (Count Basie/Joe Williams) was very well sorted out, with the respective placements and tone-specifics of each of the horns clearly delineated. Williams' voice is rich, full and warm. The breadth of the IeGo's midrange seems to have deepened appreciably. The Iego imparts a smoothness and ease, but without sacrificing any detail at all. Bass is better articulated and has more drive than the MAC--wow!

Tchaikovsky's 6th came across as so detailed, expansive and lifelike; the best I've heard from the Bada PH-12 since its return from Fitz. Big bass drum smacks in the third movement went deep and had weighty impact. Horns are rich and mellow. Strings were well differentiated, sweeping and very expansive.

The MAC really has its work cut for tonight, although I'll close by adding that the IeGo has a "tone-dominant" presentation, while the MAC conveys more "texturally" (think of the taste and texture components of eating, for example). : )

Am I glad I bought the IeGo? Yes!

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 7
This is amazing timing, because I was just amazed by the IeGO power cords a few days ago, but didn't know how to start a new thread about it.
tongue.gif

When the copper one is plugged into my Little Dot I+, there is an immediate change when thinking back to the OEM one. Everything is warmer, and the highs have been slighted petted down, so now I can finally listen to Alison Krauss on my Grados. The low end is stronger and more pronounced as well.

Also, I've noticed that the cheap iPod LOD-to-RCA I have makes my iPod Classic sound extremely anemic, so lately I've been thinking "Oh God, maybe this stuff (quality and materials) does make a huge difference."
ph34r.gif

EDIT: I have to tell the story of how I got two of IeGO's power cords. I ordered the silver one, but the copper one came instead. I PM'd "maniac" here on Head-Fi, and after checking the records, he confirmed that they had sent the wrong one to me. He let me keep the copper one, so the silver one is plugged into the DAC (I highly doubt it's making a difference in there), and the copper one is residing in the Little Dot I+. Mind you, using the silver one in the Little Dot I+ gave me a skewered sound spectrum, so that's why both of them are where they are right now.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Iego's cheapest cord is a true bargain. The L80229 series really kicks it up a notch, though.

I actually bought two 70530 +8055, but so far have only tried the IeGo on my head amp. Given that the source is probably the more critical component, I'm amazed, frankly, at the level of overall improvement wrought from having the 70530 just on the amp.

Due to space constraints, I haven't swapped the MAC Source for the second IeGo on the EVS/Oppo player, yet (but it won't be that difficult to make provision for the IeGo on the Oppo). Jon, I'll go back and reread your review sections on the L80229, and would consider trying one of these on my source component (maybe that will be my "reward" when I find employment).

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is amazing timing, because I was just amazed by the IeGO power cords a few days ago, but didn't know how to start a new thread about it.
tongue.gif

When the copper one is plugged into my Little Dot I+, there is an immediate change when thinking back to the OEM one. Everything is warmer, and the highs have been slighted petted down, so now I can finally listen to Alison Krauss on my Grados. The low end is stronger and more pronounced as well.

Also, I've noticed that the cheap iPod LOD-to-RCA I have makes my iPod Classic sound extremely anemic, so lately I've been thinking "Oh God, maybe this stuff (quality and materials) does make a huge difference."
ph34r.gif

EDIT: I have to tell the story of how I got two of IeGO's power cords. I ordered the silver one, but the copper one came instead. I PM'd "maniac" here on Head-Fi, and after checking the records, he confirmed that they had sent the wrong one to me. He let me keep the copper one, so the silver one is plugged into the DAC (I highly doubt it's making a difference in there), and the copper one is residing in the Little Dot I+. Mind you, using the silver one in the Little Dot I+ gave me a skewered sound spectrum, so that's why both of them are where they are right now.

TMM,
The IeGo's quiet background, together with its tonal richness, really do impart a natural warmth and listenability to formerly hard-to-listen-to tracks/gear. Its tonal sophistication lends to the IeGo's overall level of detail as well: a real ear opener, for sure! : )
PAB

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Put the MAC Source and HC power cords back in today. The MACs sound much more open, with better synergy between instruments/performers. Cymbals and transients are better rendered with the MACs, too, IMHO. The IeGOs sound detailed and may have an edge with respect to warmth and bass impact, but they're like the "closed" headphones whereas he MACs are the "open" headphones in terms of overall listening experience.

Final verdict: the MACs stay on my reference headphone rig and the IeGOs go onto my wife's player and integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back