MAC G5 Source : Digital out, Help me pick a DAC
Jun 24, 2004 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bobfa

Head-Fier
My main computer at home is a MAC g5 that has digital out. I was wondering if anyone else is using a G5 as a source? Also are you using a DAC? I have been looking at the Grace 901, but I am very tempted to get a PPA with a DAC built or build one myself. I am going to purchase a new set of headphones for this project either the Senn 650 or the Sony 3000.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

bob

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfa
My main computer at home is a MAC g5 that has digital out. I was wondering if anyone else is using a G5 as a source? Also are you using a DAC? I have been looking at the Grace 901, but I am very tempted to get a PPA with a DAC built or build one myself. I am going to purchase a new set of headphones for this project either the Senn 650 or the Sony 3000.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

bob

How much do you want to spend? AOS makes a couple of amp/DAC combos that would work for you. I'm currently using an AOS Sostenuto, which runs $420 from AOS, running off the optical output of my Chaintech AV-710 and love it! He's also got the PACE, a PPA/DAC for $730.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 13
Jun 24, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 13
What is your maximum budget?

If you're playing exlusivly redbook and like the sound of non-oversampling DACs then the ack Dack or scott nixon DACs are good choices.

If you'll be listening in addition to movies or MP3s, etc. which potentially (depends on app) decode into 24bit and maybe 48khz, then other DACs maybe more suitable. Some favorable ones are Benchmark DAC1, Bel Canto DAC2.

The ack dack is battery powered so won't suffer from power noise. All the other AC powered ones will need a power conditioner really to perform their best. The computer puts out too much noise and you can't really plug it into the same strip.

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 13
My current source would be the MAC G5 but I am considering a SACD/ DVD-A source. I have not gone there yet.

I like the idea of isolated power using optical to the DAC to keep the audio chain away from the computer.

I was looking at the PPA with DAC as a nice possiblity and it give me a pretty darn good headamp too.

Budget for "system" is about $1500 $2500 but that needs to include the HD650 cables DAC and AMP.

I was looking for something to use at work too, but I put that on the back burner a bit.

rjf

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 13
I have been looking at several of the builders of PPA amps and they all have nice options and good looking build quality. I have not googled for comparisions to other commercial amps. One thing that is nice about the PPA and their builders is that you can do some roll your own stuff to make it more fun to play.

I did notice that the Larocco web site has some sort of DNS problem of late, but I am not in a hurry, I want to do this right. I think I want this to be simple so I would have the least amount of hardware to manage. It might be cool to have two toslink ports to switch between so that I could have the G5 for a source and then a SACD player for another source.

It is fun to speculate and design this.
cool.gif

rjf

PS thanks everyone for the interesting ideas so far.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfa
It might be cool to have two toslink ports to switch between so that I could have the G5 for a source and then a SACD player for another source.

SACD and DVD-A don't get sent out the digital output so all you'd be sending from your CD player is redbook which would be the same functionally as the G5.

I'd get a Benchmark DAC1 if that's your budget. It's sort of transportable and has headphone jack you can use at work. I'd still use another amp at home for more serious listening. The amp's your choice.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Run the benchmark DAC1 to in incanal phones for work then at home run to an amp on the hd650. Then I can play some more with the amps. Still need a Transit or the like for my work PC. A lot to lug to work.

All good ideas to play with. Thanks.

Ahhh the spouse will be very confused.

rjf

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 13
I am using a PowerMac G5 as my source. Using the digital out I connect to a Benchmark DAC1 unit. From the DAC1 unit I connect to a Ray Samuels HR-2 Amp. From the HR-2 AMP I used my Sony CD-3000's.

Sounds real nice and smooth.

The DAC1 unit from Benchmark new was ~ 995 bucks I believe. The HR-2 Amp from Ray Samuels Audio was ~ 800 bucks new (I think). The Sony CD-3000 from eTronics were ~ 390 bucks new.

Overall I really like the combo ... sounds real good. I had also considered the BelCanto DAC unit but decided based on recommendations here that the DAC1 from Benchmark would serve my needs a little better (not to mention a few hundred bucks cheaper).

Best of luck on finding something you like.

Regards,

- rajs

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 13
I would like to second the benchmark dac1 suggestion. I use it with my powerbook and it sounds great.

Though the amp cannot fully awaken the senn 650, it still sounds really nice and I don't see you having any problems being held over untill you can drop $$$$ on a new amplifier.

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 13
I also encourge you to go for an AOS DAC. AOS takes DACS very seriously, and can produce some very high-end stuff. Drop home a PM, or take a look at his website.

Cheers!

Trevor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back