Mac CoreAudio: Breaking ASIO Apart At OS
Apr 24, 2020 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jason Van Patten

New Head-Fier
Hey folks -

I think the answer to this is: It's not possible. My GOOG-Fu sucks and I haven't been able to find anyone that's even tried to do this, much less been successful at it. Setup:

Mackie DL32R digital mixer <---USB---> Mac

The Mac immediately sees all 32 channels in and 32 channels out from the Mackie, but it's a single device as far as the OS is concerned. Mackie is assuming you're going to fire up a DAW (eg: Logic Pro/Pro Tools, et al) and assign the channels within the app. I'm trying to do that from the OS level, not an app level. And I don't think that's doable on a Mac, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

If I connect the same mixer to a PC and install Mackie's USB driver, Windows sees 16 new "sound cards". It has 16 stereo input devices and 16 stereo output devices. That's at the OS level, not an app level. Meaning I can assign those virtual sound cards to any sort of duty within Windows. If I want them clumped together into a single 32/32 ASIO, Mackie's driver allows me to do that. But, I don't.

They don't have a driver for MacOS because it's not really needed. CoreAudio seems to do the right thing (from Mackie's perspective) and creates an ASIO. But, I want to split that sucker apart. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back