Mac book pro Audio setup to home audio system
Aug 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alpine62

New Head-Fier
I have a Mac book pro and would like to get the best audio out of it from Itunes and audio files.

I would like to send the audio from my Mac to my Arcam integrated Amp and Sonus Faber speakers. I have found such devices as the Trends UD 10.1
http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php

and the Scott Nixon Dac
http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm

Quite honestly I do not know what i am looking at, can anyone advise me on what would be the best solution to get the best audio out of my Mac through to my audio system. I am no audio buff so would appreciate any help that is as simple to understand as possible.

Thanks

Tony

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I say your best option is to buy an external DAC which accept USB or optical S/PDIF input, or both for that matter.
Then feed the DAC directly from the corresponding output on your MacBook Pro.

Do not know the Scott Nixon Dacs, but they sure seem to provide the interface needed.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Alpine62, I'm in the same situation as you. I have a MacBook Pro and want good audio quality out of it. I don't have any experience at all with the equipment people talk about on this forum.  However, I've been researching a lot here and other forums. There are a couple of members here that have talked about pro equipment... especially concerning DACs which I agree with. DACs are supposed to take digital output and accurately convert them to analog signals. The better the DAC, the better it should accurately convert the digital output. It shouldn't do anything else beyond that... since it might add coloration. Supposedly, some pro audio interfaces do a really good job with that at a reasonable price compared to audiophile equipment.

Since our MBP has firewire, I've been looking at audio interfaces with that connectivity.  I'm about to order the Echo AudioFire 2. I also spent a lot of time researching the TC Konnekt 6, but it seems like the drivers for that are not as reliable as the AudioFire ones. If I could afford to spend a little more, I would probably buy the Apogee Duet.  Seems like many people love the sound out of that converter. So take a look at those products too. Good luck!

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 4
I also own/run music from a MBP. You can basically go with any DAC. Firewire used to be the only option on Mac back in the day (i.e.'07/08 - lol), but nowadays the options are unlimited.

E.g. You can make use of the Optical out from the MBP straight into any dac with Optical input (e.g. Ibasso D10, PS Audio DLIII, etc....). Not considered the best option in SQ by fellow headfi'ers, but I find it easy to use and provides maybe 80-90% (subjective) of the max quality attainable.

Next up - Straight USB - most DACs have a USB port - limits you to 16/44 though. Probably lowest SQ, best ease of use and cost.

Then - Spdif from Usb. Using a something like a M2tech Hiface/Evo or Halide bridge, you can run from USB into the Coax input of most Dacs. Allows up to 24/192 (or limited by the Dac capability).

You can use DAC/amp combos like the Grace M902 or Audio-gd FUN, or run seperate DACs into AMPs (e.g. Audio gd Ref5 into Roc).

More reading available here on Headfi or Computeraudiophile.com.

Enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back