MAC: Audio through Virtual PC
Jan 7, 2011 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

igotnojob

New Head-Fier
I have late 2010 (latest) iMac feeding USB into a Yulong D100 DAC at the moment. I will likely connect it to the Toslink input of the D100 soon.

I have been wrestling with the problem of passing a bit-perfect signal through Audio MIDI Setup and resampling non 24/96 before passing it to my external DAC. I don't want to purchase Amarra or Pure Music to automatically change the sample rate for me. Here is that thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/532293/mac-audio-midi-setup-for-24-bit-96-192khz-files

I am wondering if I can use PC virtualization software* like Parallels or VMware Fusion so I can use Foobar 2000 to play my audio for me with automatic sample rate changing. So, in this scenario, I would be running Foobar on a virtual Windows 7 64-bit machine on top of Snow Leopard.

1. With the correct Foobar component plug-ins, will this combo work to push out bit-perfect native sample rate audio out to my D100 whether that be 16/44.1, 24/96, or 24/192?

2. Will virtualization allow me to send audio over USB and optical out on the iMac just as if I was using a PC running Foobar?

*I realize I can just bootcamp into a Windows partition but I use OSX nearly 100% of the time on this machine and would hate to have to reboot into Windows every time I just wanted to listen to my music. Also, this would prevent me from doing work while I had music playing.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 2
I cant answer your question, but I do know there is a specific feature (VT-d) on CPUs that allow a virtual machine to take direct control over a specific piece of hardware and bypass the host os. This may help or may not, but it is nice to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back