M80 vs HD-25 Adidas
Feb 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Okay lets put this in simple terms. I have a deal where I can get the Adidas HD-25 for 180ish CAD and the VMODA M80 for 180ish as well... I have auditioned the Sennheiser several times and haven't auditoned the vmodas at all. I want a portable headphone (like these two) that I can take when I don't feel like taking IEMs to school. I really like the way the HD-25 sounds and I was thinking of upgrading it to the HD-25-13s cable later on as well. I just want to see how many people prefer the vmodas compared to the HD-25s or any other portable headphone. For this purchase, I want a headphone with a good bass foundation. I want good extention and impact as well. I find the HD-25s to have great extention and good impact as well. The sub bass is a little weak IMO. Will the vmodas be any better?

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 13
I wouldn't say one is better than the other: it depends on your preferences. Personally I think both complement each other nicely, but since you can only pick one I'll give you a little rundown of both.

HD25: great isolation due to more clamp (which can be uncomfortable for some), punchy bass, aggressive sound sig with brighter treble, great layering, narrow soundstage but decent depth, slightly recessed mids

M-80: decent isolation, impactful, punchy bass with better extension, much more smooth and liquid mids with natural vocals, polite treble, good soundstage and depth

Overall, the HD25 is the more energetic phone while the M-80 is more lounge-y and warm/smooth while having a fun sound. Both are genre-versatile and very detailed IMO. I think it's a win-win no matter which way you go. These days I have been listening to my M-80 more due to the better soundstage/imaging but I know once I put on the HD25 I'll be equally impressed again with the amount of punch and detail.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Darn it... Makes it even harder to choose haha. That was very helpful indeed thank you. The M80s are looking even more tasty now... I seriously cannot decide... Any beyer dt1350 or t50p owners??

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 13
There's no need to add other headphones to your list--either of those will be very satisfying.  The only thing I would add is that if you tend to listen to more rock, go with the senns.  More electronic? Go with the M80.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
There's no need to add other headphones to your list--either of those will be very satisfying.  The only thing I would add is that if you tend to listen to more rock, go with the senns.  More electronic? Go with the M80.

Actually, I prefer more variety. I'm not too familiar with portable headphones so i'm trying to obtain as much info as I can. I've already read many opinions about a lot of portable headphones like the HD-25-1, Aiaiai TMA-1, VMODA M80, Beyer DT1350 and the Beyer T50P. I just find it difficult choosing from my top two priorities...

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Darn it... Makes it even harder to choose haha. That was very helpful indeed thank you. The M80s are looking even more tasty now... I seriously cannot decide... Any beyer dt1350 or t5op owners??

Haha sorry. It is hard to choose, which is probably why I have both. If you can, I would buy both, figure out which one I like better and sell one of them off. If you have the means you should go for it :p

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 13

Haha sorry. It is hard to choose, which is probably why I have both. If you can, I would buy both, figure out which one I like better and sell one of them off. If you have the means you should go for it :p

How's the sub-bass on both the M80 and HD-25? Mids are an essential part of music for me so i'm guessing the M80s would be better

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 13
The M-80's bass extends a little more but HD25's bass is quite punchy. Both cans have a nice, detailed low end. When it comes to mids on the HD25, nothing is really missing - it's just that I believe due to the narrow stage, the vocals are pushed back ever so slightly. Still everything is crystal clear and sparkly on the HD25s while the M-80's treble is smooth, soft and non-fatiguing.

The biggest difference, honestly, is the stage and overall presentation and what you prefer. I think both cans are pretty incredible (again, I'm sure I'm not helping matters here with your decision lol) and it's why I have ended up keeping both. Is there any way you can audition them? I think it'll do you good if you try them both.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
The M-80's bass extends a little more but HD25's bass is quite punchy. Both cans have a nice, detailed low end. When it comes to mids on the HD25, nothing is really missing - it's just that I believe due to the narrow stage, the vocals are pushed back ever so slightly. Still everything is crystal clear and sparkly on the HD25s while the M-80's treble is smooth, soft and non-fatiguing.

The biggest difference, honestly, is the stage and overall presentation and what you prefer. I think both cans are pretty incredible (again, I'm sure I'm not helping matters here with your decision lol) and it's why I have ended up keeping both. Is there any way you can audition them? I think it'll do you good if you try them both.

I can audition them both. Gahhh choices choices....

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 13
buy one and your ears will adjust to like either one.
i love the m80's and the hd 25's slightly underhwelmed me.
however, if you listen for more than like 3 hours on a headphone you ingore the issues and it basically caters to your brain.
Hd25's probably benefit from a good amp and arent as eaily driven as m80's.
Get the one you want in your gut, and dont look back because all of these headphones are damn splitting hairs until like 500 bucks.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Actually, i'm going to get the Adidas HD-25s because i'm going to be using a portable amp frequently. Also i'm going to change the cables into the higher impedance HD-25-13 cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back