M50x or hp50 or sennheiser momentum?
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iswag

New Head-Fier
Ever since my se215 broke ive been wanting to come back to over ear headphones. Problem is choosing one that fits all my needs is quite difficult, thats why i need your recommendation.

Right now im torn between the NAD viso hp50, the ath m50x and the sennheisee momentum

These will be my everyday headphones, from heavy gaming to listening music. I mostly listen to edm, but when im not listening to music i tend to play a lot of video games, as well as skyping with friends etc. i need something that represents the sound as is. Im not really a bass head so something similar to the se 215s will do. Comfort is also a problem, as i used to own a pair of ath pro700 mk2s and god damn did those hurt my ears. Im very picky when it comes to comfort.

Any other recommendations are welcome, ive never really liked over ear headphones as most of them tends to clamp my head a lot, and i hope one of these headphones will change my mind.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I have owned the nad, m50 not the m50x and the Senn momentum over ear. I listen to classic rock. The nad for me is the far better sounding headphone with the better soundstage and nice balanced slightly warm sound. For me the m50 is way too bright and the senns had way too little mids in the area of guitar sounds. As for comfort the nads are ok but the others are more comfortable. I also think vanilla ice cream is better than butter pecan so take people's opinions as just that.
Hope this helps

Mike

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 6
NAD: No experience. Big earcups -most likely most comfortable. On Tyll's wall of fame. Looks a bit big and funky on the head. 

Sennheiser Momentum: Strong Mids and commensurate Bass. Warm sound. Needs sparkle imo. Very small earpads only fits smaller than average ears. 

M50X: Strong Bass. Slighty toned down treble to be consumer friendly(loss of detail) but otherwise very well balanced. This is the safe bet sound sig. wise but the other two will most definitely have better detail/resolution. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 6
For everyday use, I'd give comfort as the first priority.  I personally don't find the m50x and the Momentum that comfortable, I mean, they are somewhat comfortable but not for long hour usage. They clamp my head a little too strong. May I recommend the Bose SoundTrue - Around Ear or the Sony MDR-1A. They sound great and far more comfortable than the m50x and  the Momentum. (I've never tired the hp50, so can't comment on that)

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 6
I agree with the above statement. comfort should be a big priority for everyday usage. I would say that the ATH-M50x and old Sennheiser Momentums are probably a bit less comfortable than other options. I would choose between the NAD or Focals first or the new version of the Momentums Over-Ear (with larger earcups).

generally, the sound quality/sound signature between well-reviewed portable closed headphones in this price bracket are quite comparable. some differences in sound signature. will have to listen yourself to see what you prefer.

gl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back