m50x/DT770 80 to m100.. Worth the 'upgrade'?
May 24, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Izay

New Head-Fier
So i have both the M50x and the DT770.. But both of them exhibit faults that gets on my nerves.

m50x: I like their overall signature, but the soundstage is narrow, the upper bass is too present, the lower mids (important to me) are just recessed enough to be annoying and the treble has a slight metallic edge. Comfortwise, I dont mind them. My ears are by most standards quite small. I really like them and all of these are nitpicks. I would still recommend them to my friends if portability etc was a factor.

DT770: All about dat sub bass. That, soundstage and comfort. Everything else is a big NOPE. I seriously cannot understand how people can live with that treble. I get the appeal of them, but that sibilance and harshness is unbearable, which is why I mainly use them for ambient music these days. That sounds killer on them. 

I'm not a 'basshead', but my tastes in music tend to favour electronica and my open 598's just doesn't cut it. I love them for gaming and movies, but the ones above are my main drivers for music. But.. I can't do it anymore. First world problems in a nut shell.

I'm flexible on price up to $450-500. Want to pull the trigger, but want the big seal of approval first. Should I? Or should I go for something else in a similar vein?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back