M50X DAC/amp for Desktop
Jan 21, 2016 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Owndapwn

New Head-Fier
So, I have a pair of ATH-M50X's, which replaced my Fischer Audio FA-003 clone. I use them for general media use. Music, movies, gaming, etc.
I use them on my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Rev 1.3) with Realtek ALC889. Nothing fancy, but I did **** up the rear panel audio, and have been using the S/PDIF out and running them through a home theater amp, which, while less than ideal, sounds noticeably better than the front panel output.
And since it's tax return season, I would like to get a proper amp.

Somewhere in the lower-mid range. Less than $200. Overkill for current headphones, but won't be for my next set.
S/PDIF input, which will be all I can use until I upgrade my board/CPU/RAM. Prefer additional inputs as well.
I have no size limit. In fact, all others equal, bigger would be better, since it would just look nicer. It will also be smaller than my home theater amp.
Exposed tubes would be cool, but I have no legitimate reason other than they're sexy.

I'm positive I've missed something, so if you need to know something, or just want to make fun of me, feel free.
Cheers.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 3
  So, I have a pair of ATH-M50X's, which replaced my Fischer Audio FA-003 clone. I use them for general media use. Music, movies, gaming, etc.
I use them on my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Rev 1.3) with Realtek ALC889. Nothing fancy, but I did **** up the rear panel audio, and have been using the S/PDIF out and running them through a home theater amp, which, while less than ideal, sounds noticeably better than the front panel output.
And since it's tax return season, I would like to get a proper amp.
Somewhere in the lower-mid range. Less than $200. Overkill for current headphones, but won't be for my next set.
S/PDIF input, which will be all I can use until I upgrade my board/CPU/RAM. Prefer additional inputs as well.
I have no size limit. In fact, all others equal, bigger would be better, since it would just look nicer. It will also be smaller than my home theater amp.
Exposed tubes would be cool, but I have no legitimate reason other than they're sexy.
I'm positive I've missed something, so if you need to know something, or just want to make fun of me, feel free.
Cheers.

FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, both are USB-DAC-amps for under $100.
Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card, $75-$90.
Can't see spend over $100, for a DAC/amp or sound card, for the ATH-M50X headphones.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 3

FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, both are USB-DAC-amps for under $100.
Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card, $75-$90.
Can't see spend over $100, for a DAC/amp or sound card, for the ATH-M50X headphones.

I'm not interested in something like the E10k or the Fulla or Dragonfly or majority of the tiny portable amps. I looked at all three, as they were usually the most commonly suggested, and they ultimately seemed unappealing.
I had actually looked at the Sound Blaster Z. Only the OEM version of the SB1500 (Without the shroud) will fit. Not that that's a problem, especially since it's a bit cheaper for the same thing, and without the lights.
My primary concern with the SB Z, and this is shared for a USB amp, is that with two 280X's, seven drives, and a severely overclocked 32nm i5, I'm sure I create quite a bit of electrical noise, and I'm not sure how/if that will affect one plugged in to the system directly. I'm fairly certain the main thing I'm noticing when using the front panel 3.5mm TRS is noise from the system, and not a problem powering the headphones. Which isn't experienced on the home theater amp, since it's on its own power supply and has optical line in.
I also use Win10, Yosemite, Ubuntu, and Gentoo on the same system and can't quite say for sure if a USB amp (Or the Z) will work on all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back