M50's unexpectedly broke, need some ideas.
Mar 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gibbsy

New Head-Fier
One of the hinges in on my M50's broke today. Needless to say, I'm bummed and need a replacement. I was pretty content with them so I haven't been keeping up with headphone news the last couple years.
The M50x is kind of tempting, but I wouldn't mind trying something new. I would like to keep it closed or semi open back, though something with a wider soundstage than the m50s would be preferred.
I listen to post rock, electronic and some metal and would also game with them. I don't have a dedicated amp, however my motherboard has a OPA1652 amplifier built in, andclaims it can drive upto 600 ohms. Not sure I believe that though.
Budget $250 or under.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 5
DT770 is a step up from the M50s. Has a bigger soundstage, too.

Even better for a bigger soundstage is the DT990. They seem to be at an all time low in price right now. Great deal :)

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 5
AKG K550s have been dirt cheap lately. I won an auction of brand new ones for my brother at $130. On average they go for about $150 used or $170 new, unless you do some searching or like to bid. They sound pretty good, and have a much bigger sound stage than that of the M50s. They can sound a bit harsh, but not overbearingly. They also do details extremely well for that price range. Build quality is top notch except for the headband which seems to be of a harder metal, in which people have complained about snapping after trying to bend them. It should not be a problem unless you try to force it. The pads also are not my favorite, but my brother put some Mr.Speaker Alpha Pads on them and they are extremely comfortable. 

Otherwise I would look at the beyers like mentioned above, the sony MDR1R, and the senn. momentums. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 5
I really like the look of the k550s. I had not seen them before now, but apparently they're pretty big and I have a small head. That might be an issue.
I've looked at the DT's a little bit before. I'm a little confused why the 250ohm pro 990 is so much cheaper than the other 990s. What's the difference?

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 5
I personally could not comment on the size of the headphones as I have a bigger head. I know there is another person on here complaining about the size being too big in another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back