M50's making ears sore
Apr 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andy43

100+ Head-Fier
My ears get a little tender after an hour or two of wearing my M50's. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if it's because I'm wearing them wrong or if the pads are just getting old.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 14
Do you wear glasses? Same thing happened with my HD 595 because I was wearing them too long with my glasses on.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 14
Yeah that happens to me too. They get sweaty and I have to rub them. Also make me feel a little crammed in my brain, no idea why

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 14
Stretch the band a little. They are easily the ones I could wear all day. Even more than the DT770 and DT880s. No lie.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stretch the band a little. They are easily the ones I could wear all day. Even more than the DT770 and DT880s. No lie.

Really?? My DT880's are like slippers. So light, soft and comfy!
beyersmile.png

Though I find the M50 very comfortable as well... just a little warm after several hours. The HD600 is like a vice, and the SRH840 are pretty heavy.

shane

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 14
My ears can get sore if I wear my M50s too far forward on my head, so the pad is touching the back of my ear. I tend to get a slight headache long before I have any trouble from my ears though.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 14
No problems here; you've probably got big ears. I'll admit that the clamp on the M50s isn't the lightest around, or the pads the biggest however.

And yes, the Beyers are quite nice. Second to the Audiotechnica wing design.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 14
While the pads on the DT880 are superior, it fits a bit too loose to be perfect for me. The M50s have the best comfort for me, due to overall fit, clamp, and comfort. No matter how long you wear them, they will clamp a bit tight unless you bend the band yourself a little. I did, and the clamp became PERFECT.

You can only do something like this with headphones that are initially tight. The DT880s start off a bit loose, so they can't get better clamp for me.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 14
If they are clamping too much, simply stretch the headband until they are not so tight. Just do it in small careful increments and you'll be kosher.

If your ears are touching the drivers, try the 'phat pad' mod. You can slip either soft tubing or foam underneath the inside of the pads, so the driver sits farther away from the ear. Search phat pad and you should be able to find it. The synthetic stuffing found in cheap cushions and pillows works great too. If done right it's virtually invisible and fully reversible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back