M50 vs Dt 440 ?
Jul 3, 2010 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blueyan

Head-Fier
I'm planning to get a full size headphone for home listening . I'm leaning towards M50 because it is quite popular here .. but my friend told me that M50 is a studio monitor headphone , which mean it is flat , lifeless , digital .. Then , he offers me Dt440 ...which is more fun to listen to ...
I love pop / rock , something like 3Oh! starstrukk , my first kiss , tik tok , Telephone , bad romance , B.O.B. - Nothin' On You ... so I need sufficient bass for these music ... mainly use for music listening , no gaming , no mixing/producing....close or open, I don't mind ... no plan to get an amp .. is there other headphone that is almost the same price as M50 (around 110 USD )you guys can recommend ? or I just stick to M50 ?

thanks

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard the Dt440s, but as far as the M50s go, they are hardly flat and lifeless. They arn't quite neutral despite being monitors, but, as the cult following behind it shows, that is to its favour for music listening. It works well enough without an amp, but scales upwards depending on your equipment - i currently use a mbox2 digital audio workstation as a source and its awesome. It *is* a fun pair of cans,in my experience - and others... Take a poke at the appreciation thread

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 11
The DT440s are a good all-around option. IMO you should look into the Alessandro MS-1 as well.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Mr Joboto , yeah , that's what I thought . Since I prefer circumaural , Alessandro MS-1 can turn into circumaural with MS 1000 mod ... and the result is pretty outstanding too ! hmmm

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 11
The M50 is far from flat and lifeless, they have a fun and musical sound with big bass that doesn't overly intrude into its solid mids. Another plus point is its tough construction, impeccable build quality.

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Well the M50 will give you more bass if that is what you care about but the DT440 will sound better overall (mostly due to being open). They are very groovy all rounded phones with a nice balance. MS-1 would be another good option.  Id go for either over the M50 if you don't need closed phones but that is just me.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 11
I doubt anyone has heard both. I personally don't want to do the M1000 mod. I enjoy the MS-1 far too much to just change it without knowing what I am doing to the sound in the process.  In fact I don't think I will ever do any modding/cable changes/pad changes etc. I either like a headphone or I don't. If I get a phone I don't like ill simply sell it and get phones that I do like instead. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 11
ok guys , I have top up my budget and now I can add the HFI 780 into my list, I read lot of reviews and found out HFI 780 bass is bassy and punchy, perfect for pop/rock/techno/electronica . so now it is HFI 780 vs M50 .. I've asked my local online

headphone seller for his opinion , what he had told me is completely different thing that what I have read in head-fi. He told me Ms1i with gs1000 mod /HD555/DT440 could easily win over HFI 780 and M50 in term of bass (consider all headphones are unamped). He even told me all ultrasone headphones include HFI 780 has the least or no bass at all
confused_face(1).gif
whereas M50 is very light bass and sound plain ...  can someone verify this?

PS: he does not carry ultrasone nor M50 headphones  =_= , because these headphone are light in bass and not worth the penny , that's what he said. He does carry Ms1i with gs1000 mod /HD555/DT440 , lolz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back