M50 , M50x, Fidelio L1 ,AKG K545 or Momentum on-ear, what should I do?
Aug 30, 2014 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

frozing

New Head-Fier
Please help to decide between these headphones. I ll used them to listen all kind of music , but i also want one for mixing.because am studing to be a sound technician so i want  a good headphone to start mixing and stuff, those are my opcions because of the price on amazon, these are pretty cheap right now. please help.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 11
Whatever you do, do not get the Momentum On-Ear... they are extremely far from flat response. For a cheap option for mixing, the M50/M50X wouldn't be too bad. I used to own an M50, from what I recall the bass was a tad boomy and they were titled toward the upper frequencies with emphasis on the upper midrange. In my opinion, a Shure SRH840 would be a better option for mixing than the M50 as it is more neutral.

There are probably people that know better than me about this, but I figured I would try to help. Also with mixing and mastering, having multiple references points is a good idea since all drivers are slightly off in frequency response (preferably a pair of speakers and headphones, so you can see how the soundstage is portrayed on both).

Good luck with your career, I hope my advice helped :).

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
I've never heard it, but according to reviews it has a coloured frequency response... which means it isn't as neutral as other headphones. I wouldn't use it for sound production. It's also semi-open, which may pose an issue at some point where you need to isolate yourself from surrounding noise

Brainwavz HM5 or a similar model (Fischer F003, NVX XPT100) would also be a good option for neutrality in a closed design.

If you don't need sound isolation I highly suggest the AKG Q701 as your headphone with a cheap amp like a CMOY. These will blow pretty much everything else at the price out of the water for mastering. The Sony MA900 might also work well and don't need an amp.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 11
the AKG Q701 looks amazing and these are just 200$ now ,compared to 479$ they were before,it looks like a good option and since you said they blow the other ones , am leaning to akg,but does it really need an amp to work properly ?

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 11
the AKG Q701 looks amazing and these are just 200$ now ,compared to 479$ they were before,it looks like a good option and since you said they blow the other ones , am leaning to akg,but does it really need an amp to work properly ?

Don't pay too much attention to the MSRP. It doesn't really mean much except to fool uneducated people into thinking they're getting a good deal.

The Q701 sounds good for the price though, but you need a good amp to get it to the fullest, or at least a decent sound card like the xonar DG.

https://www.buysonic.com/products/audio-technica-ath-m40x/
I don't own the m40x so I can't say for sure, but it definitely has less bass.. I've only tried it from a friend for a moment. I do plan on ordering one though to add to my collection.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Don't pay too much attention to the MSRP. It doesn't really mean much except to fool uneducated people into thinking they're getting a good deal.

The Q701 sounds good for the price though, but you need a good amp to get it to the fullest, or at least a decent sound card like the xonar DG.

https://www.buysonic.com/products/audio-technica-ath-m40x/
I don't own the m40x so I can't say for sure, but it definitely has less bass.. I've only tried it from a friend for a moment. I do plan on ordering one though to add to my collection.

I am planing to buy a sound interfaze to start recording , I think I can use it like an amp , can´t I ?,its something that goes around my mind occasionally and I didnt find the answer jet, if you want to take a look is this one http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/UMC1820.aspx . also looked for Q701 reviews, it looks like they are good for electronic music and stands to a specific sound , I want something to mix intruments and listening to music overall, they are compared to the hd 650 (450$ alternative from sennheiser) thought. so am confuse, I may buy a 150$ monitoring headphones or a a 200$(250$ with an amp) that excels in a specific range of music, but at the same time they were 470$ before, so it makes you think it will sound better than a 150$ headphones overall. I don´t know if am being clear, my head is a mess now, these things happens when i try to buy headphones haha, so much variety of sound and price. also there are HD598 for 190$ have anyone listen to those?

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Well it really just depends on your preferences. I have the q701s right now and they sound really cheap when used with my motherboard. Without an amp I would never consider it since you'd probably be better off getting something easier to drive. I'm not really sure how well it will do with a cheap amp since I don't really own any cheap ones.
I personally prefer the 600/650 over the q701, and the 600 over the 650 even though the 600 is cheaper.

Remember that these are open headphones. They do leak noise especially if you like to turn it up. I don't use mics so I'm not sure if that leakage would interfere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back