M5 vs. X5 for Audio only (is M5 made of metal too?)
Feb 7, 2006 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. Was seriously thinking about the X5 as my first dap, but just found out about the M5. I don't need video or picture cabability, plus apparently you don't need the subpack to charge the M5 (couldn't you just keep the subpack attached to the charging cord though, for the X5?)

Is there any reason for me to get the x5 (apart from the fact that the M5 most unfortunately doesn't come in black?). Is the M5 made of the same material as the X5?

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Think L
The X5L has mucho battery life..like 35 hrs . If that aint somthing you need then get either. I dont think the M5 does drm but who cares anyway. Cowon stuff sounds great

Feb 8, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Think L
The X5L has mucho battery life..like 35 hrs . If that aint somthing you need then get either. I dont think the M5 does drm but who cares anyway. Cowon stuff sounds great

The M5L has the same batt life as the X5L, so there is no diff there.

Feb 8, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
M5 doesnt have fm tuning or USB host, if you use either or those. From what I remember over at the iaudiophile.net forums, cost of the M5 isnt cheap enough to justify not getting an X5.

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySunshine
M5 doesnt have fm tuning or USB host, if you use either or those. From what I remember over at the iaudiophile.net forums, cost of the M5 isnt cheap enough to justify not getting an X5.

I think you're right. it's not much less. it looks much better in black, and the monochrome screen doesn't appear to add any battery life, according to the specs.

(looks like CNET says the casings are the same material).

now I just have to make sure I don't want the Touch or Sleek.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySunshine
cost of the M5 isnt cheap enough to justify not getting an X5.

This is the key. If the M5 was cheaper, it would be tempting. Cowon screwed up on their price structure (unless they intended to push people to the X5
biggrin.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back