M40x? M50x refurbished? Something else?
Jan 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JDSuperhero

New Head-Fier
So a few years ago I bought my first high-end headphones, the V-Moda M-80s which have been my lovely babies for a while now and I wouldn't trade them for the world. However, lately I've been wanting some over-ears to use at home. My friend let me try out his Audio Technica ath-M50x pair and I really liked them. Unfortunately I'm also just out of university and can't afford a brand new pair. That being said, they go on amazon certified refurbished for about $110 and I could afford that.

But I don't know if those are the ones I should get. I definitely want a different sound from what I already have, so I thought I might like to go for something more neutral (the M50x sounds more neutral to me, anyways) and heard the M40x's are a nice, affordable pair and I could buy them new with replacement earpads for comfort for around the same price as the refurb M50x's.

I am really stuck on what to get, and for all I know I could be missing out on something else good, so I thought I'd come to you. My budget is $100 plus or minus about $25-$30. I absolutely CANNOT stretch it beyond $130. I need to use that money to buy things like groceries and a pair of shoes that aren't falling apart.

I listen to a wide variety of music - indie, grunge, punk, folk, EDM, pop. Everything from PWR BTTM and Courtney Barnett to Infected Mushroom and Electric Octopus with Nirvana and Ani Difranco thrown in.

Source is my laptop or my Samsung Galaxy phone. I don't have an amp and, frankly, can't afford one. Must be closed headphones so my partner isn't bother by my listening while she's doing her own thing in our small apartment.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi... I have owned the M50's for nearly 5yrs now.. and what I like about them for myself,seems like they are quite promising for you as well..   they are tanks build quality wise.. because in about 30 seconds people are going to show up suggesting some other headphones... and that is fine.. just read the user reviews about broken hinges and whatever..

My M50's have gone on many flights and traveled the world 5yrs on they are still in quite good shape.. they are a nice fun headphone that travels well and will put up with a lot of use and even abuse (don't abuse them =\ )

if portability isn't a factor ... I also own the DT770 Pro 80s (which probably won't work for you right now because they need an amp) the 770's have a similar sound character to the M50's but I like the SQ a bit more.

while the Pro 80's are probably a non starter at the moment currently the DT770 i (16Ohms) is $119 right now at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-i-Headphones/dp/B017TAZ3SM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485113969&sr=8-5&keywords=dt770

or $99 from buydig on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeyerDynamic-DT-770-Headphones-16-ohm-Ideal-for-Apple-Android/322239150312

The beyers are also quite robust headphones I have had mine 4~yrs now and they have held up very very well.

When money is tight I always have tried to buy something that will hold up, because buying something with short funds and then finding out it broke stinks.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 3
  So a few years ago I bought my first high-end headphones, the V-Moda M-80s which have been my lovely babies for a while now and I wouldn't trade them for the world. However, lately I've been wanting some over-ears to use at home. My friend let me try out his Audio Technica ath-M50x pair and I really liked them. Unfortunately I'm also just out of university and can't afford a brand new pair. That being said, they go on amazon certified refurbished for about $110 and I could afford that.

But I don't know if those are the ones I should get. I definitely want a different sound from what I already have, so I thought I might like to go for something more neutral (the M50x sounds more neutral to me, anyways) and heard the M40x's are a nice, affordable pair and I could buy them new with replacement earpads for comfort for around the same price as the refurb M50x's.

I am really stuck on what to get, and for all I know I could be missing out on something else good, so I thought I'd come to you. My budget is $100 plus or minus about $25-$30. I absolutely CANNOT stretch it beyond $130. I need to use that money to buy things like groceries and a pair of shoes that aren't falling apart.

I listen to a wide variety of music - indie, grunge, punk, folk, EDM, pop. Everything from PWR BTTM and Courtney Barnett to Infected Mushroom and Electric Octopus with Nirvana and Ani Difranco thrown in.

Source is my laptop or my Samsung Galaxy phone. I don't have an amp and, frankly, can't afford one. Must be closed headphones so my partner isn't bother by my listening while she's doing her own thing in our small apartment.

I actually prefer (as do a number of other people here on headfi) the M40X to the M50X--it's a nice headphone, IMO. Other options are the Soundmagic HP150 and the Kingston Hyper X Cloud--both terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back