M3 (M Cubed) picture update! : D
May 3, 2015 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oporto

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, long time ago I had decided to build the M3, and I did, but when I finished it I realized something had gone wrong, there was sound coming out but very very quiet, I could almost not hear anything.

Me and a friend who is an electronics and electric technician tested everything and it all seemed to be fine so we concluded that I overheated one/some parts and that's why there was sound but not loud.

I decided to rebuild it but because I moved houses and I was then studying full time and working on weekends I never made the time for it.

Anyway, long intro, this is my old thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/569141/help-building-m3 Cant believe how long its been!

But I want to build it again now, the only question atm is the following:

The AD8610AR http://au.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=AD8610ARvirtualkey58430000virtualkey584-AD8610AR
is about to be replaced by 
AD8610ARZ  http://au.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=AD8610ARZvirtualkey58430000virtualkey584-AD8610ARZ

which one should I get? or it wont make a difference?

luckily everything from my old order can still be reordered so I will simple reorder all the components I need and start building as soon as they arrive.

Thanks for your help!!

If you are from Sydney I plan on finishing it before the Sydney Can Con 5.0 so I can take it : D

May 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Won't make a difference.

Does your build have bass boost?
If not you need to install jumpers across the Sbbr and Sbbl pads or it's not going to make any sound.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 6

Just a little update : P

Unfortunately I have to reuse 2N5486 and 2N5484 transistors from my old build as I dont want to spend 30+ on shipping from amb just for 8 transistors, and because they are discontinued I couldnt order from mouser nor element14.  They should still work though, right?  D:   Maybe you guys from AMB can send them on an envelope? If so I will probably buy them if they can get to me in within 1 week. Its quite difficult to get them out from the old build.

Not sure what else to say, just that I simply can't wait to finish it.

@MisterX

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Update: (copy from amb forum post)

I just finished building the M³ today, I will post pictures pictures tomorrow but dont have a proper case yet, I am just using a hand made wooden one until I decide on a decent case.

The problems:

1. There is very high distortion at moderate to high volume (higher volume = more distortion) even when the bass boost is at minimum, it also gets extremely distorted if I increase the bass. Any ideas how can I fix this?
2. There is still a bass boost even when the bass knob is at minimum, is this normal? How can I set it so that when the knob is at minimum there is zero bass boost? Is this the cause of problem 1 ?

-I built it using the same parts recommended on the site, the bass is :  R3 = 1 KΩ,   R4 = 10 KΩ,   Rbb = 50 KΩ,   Cbb =  0.22 µF 
-I am using the Alps RK27112A for both volume and bass.
-I am using AD8610AR