M3 for HD-595?
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bead

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am just getting started in the headphone DIY arena. Right now I have HD-595 which I like, but I want to some day get HD-650's. 

I am looking to build a good amp to help power the current headphones and whichever ones I end up getting in the future, which would likely be the HD-650s.

Is the M3 a pretty good amp to build? I would like the cost to be only around 200-250, excluding the enclosure. I am mostly interested in discrete or solid state amps. I like the fact that I can get many of the hard to find parts and PCBs right from AMB's website.

I know there is a large difference in the impedance of the two mentioned headphones, despite that, would the M3 still be a good choice?

If I am not being clear enough or not making sense please let me know and I will try to clarify myself.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 6
Don't think it'll only cost you $250 for the amplifier. The little things will add up, and before you know it, you'll be over the $300 mark. Don't forget you have to pay for a power source; you get to pick between an all in one wall wart, or to build your own. Last time I checked, a s11 would run you $100 or so with the transformer itself. After all this, you might think to yourself it's a good idea to case the whole thing, and then you'll realize casework is going to be a significant percentage of your costs. Oh, and look, you forgot a few critical parts when you ordered the first time around. Woops.

My CK2III is coming out to about $300 for something projected to only cost $200. Dang.

No comment on the M3. Haven't heard one myself, would venture to say "yes".

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you think maybe it would be better for me to sell/return the HD-595s, get the HD-650s and just start with a cheaper amp?

I've also been wondering if my Onkyo TX-SR605 is acting as an amp on the headphones port it has or not. I am too green to be able to tell... If it does amp, I may as well return the 595s today and get the 650s.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 6
lolidunno

I would imagine the headphone out on the SR605 would be amplified or you wouldn't hear anything. I couldn't tell you how much power the amplifier provides, or how nicely it'll amplify. That's for you to decide. It's up to you to decide what kind of amplifier you eventually want to build. Glass Jar Audio has PCBs for the SOHA II, EHHA, and Bijou designs from Cavalli as well. They're worth considering too, in addition to the AMB designs. A friend runs a SOHA II for his 650s. I hate the 650s, personally.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Well I am kind of let down by the bass on these headphones, everything else seems to sound pretty good. Will an amp help me with this at all, or should I consider going up to a different set of headphones?

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Well I am kind of let down by the bass on these headphones, everything else seems to sound pretty good. Will an amp help me with this at all, or should I consider going up to a different set of headphones?

M3 with bass boost? 

I would imagine that M3 with bass boost on a 595 should be quite nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back