M2Tech Young DAC
Mar 6, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #61 of 88

Hi Kremer,

I don't have any file with a 384 sample rates - most of music files are sampled at 44.1, and some at 96.0. I've never run any upsampling software, but I'd like to try something like Pure Music 64bit for sure, if it was avaliable to Win7. I'm gonna find out what's available to Win7 and then post the results.

my main reason to get the 'Young' was to get rid of the EVO interface between the pc and dac, in order to eliminate another cable in the chain. but also didn't want to use a usb dac without an interface - pc usb transmission carries jitter, and is just not good enough to me. in fact, I called m2tech because of this, as I didn't want to loose the EVO, but Marco said that the same EVO's tecnology was introduced in the 'Young', wich is also an upgrade to the EVO (music to my ears!). 

I find abx comparisons time consuming, but I did a couple of swaps for comparison sake , and found the Dacmagic to sound smoother to me - and by smoother I mean like imagine a very pointy object (that's the 'Young'), then cut about 1cm off the tip and give it a smooth round shape (that's the Dacmagic).

if you can afford it definitely give it a try, I think it's quite special, but would need to see how it compares to similar priced dacs, and $2000US is not small change either, damn it.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #62 of 88
I dont have any 384 tunes either but do have some 192.  There isnt much out there though.  This may change soon though as I hear rumours that Apple itunes is considering moving up to 24 bit along with the iphone 5.  Could be rumour though.

I am a Mac user so havent looked from the Windows side of the fence but would imagine there is at least as big a choice in music players.  The Pure Music makes a noticeable difference on the Mac.  The Hog modes and memory plays are great.

I notice that within the setting of Pure Music that it allows you to select 384 output.  I am assuming that this is to mate with gear like the Young.  Unfortunately with my current setup I am limited to outputting 96 from my laptop.  The DacMagic then upsamples to 192 before outputting to my amp.

My personal preference is to get a DAC that is revealing as can possibly be.  I dont want to lose any information from the original source.  If I want to smooth the output I can either do that via digital filters or by Tube rolling on the amps.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #63 of 88

Quote:
I dont have any 384 tunes either but do have some 192.  There isnt much out there though.  This may change soon though as I hear rumours that Apple itunes is considering moving up to 24 bit along with the iphone 5.  Could be rumour though.

I am a Mac user so havent looked from the Windows side of the fence but would imagine there is at least as big a choice in music players.  The Pure Music makes a noticeable difference on the Mac.  The Hog modes and memory plays are great.

I notice that within the setting of Pure Music that it allows you to select 384 output.  I am assuming that this is to mate with gear like the Young.  Unfortunately with my current setup I am limited to outputting 96 from my laptop.  The DacMagic then upsamples to 192 before outputting to my amp.

My personal preference is to get a DAC that is revealing as can possibly be.  I dont want to lose any information from the original source.  If I want to smooth the output I can either do that via digital filters or by Tube rolling on the amps.

then consider trying the 'Young' - it's all that, and much more - extension, better definition, naturalness (as in real) are some of the attributes I'd use to describe the sound I'm hearing with the 'Young'. I like it, a lot. (this's with my set-up, that is.)

May 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #64 of 88
I just purchased the M2tech young DAC and I am not sure if the settings on my windows 7 x64 sound card settings are correct. Is there anywhere with a tutorial that shows what the optimal settings are?

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #65 of 88
You connected through USB?  If so you can pull your sound card out because it doesn't matter.  I dont have this DAC but normally all you have to do is sellect playback devices (from the role bar - the speaker icon) and set it the Young as default then go do properties and bypass all enhancements, select all available sample rates and most important go the the last tab (advanced) and select the highest default mod which will probably be '2 channel 24 bit, 196200 khz'.

Though I don't remember if this dac has a seperate USB driver that has to replace your default one.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #67 of 88
I am not overly sure of the settings for windows but I know that when you run a program such as pure music it will allow 64 bit upsampling to 384 output via USB.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #68 of 88
what about the Exclusive Mode boxes: "Allow applications to take exclusive control on this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority", is it best to keep those checked?

I don't have any file at 192khz, but if you know where I can get one (preferably free) I'll tell you :wink:

Quote:
You connected through USB?  If so you can pull your sound card out because it doesn't matter.  I dont have this DAC but normally all you have to do is sellect playback devices (from the role bar - the speaker icon) and set it the Young as default then go do properties and bypass all enhancements, select all available sample rates and most important go the the last tab (advanced) and select the highest default mod which will probably be '2 channel 24 bit, 196200 khz'.

Though I don't remember if this dac has a seperate USB driver that has to replace your default one.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #69 of 88
From what I've read, let devices take exclusive control.

If you go to computer audiophile and search for 'HRX' files you should be able to find 2 or 4 sample songs from HDtracks.com.  I think they are actually 176.4 k but that's close enough.  Of course, HDtracks has a substantial amount of highres files available for immediate download.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #71 of 88
I just got this unit a few days ago, and so far have been enjoying it.

I did a quick test with some 176 and 192 tracks using the USB input, and both seem to play fine. 

tme110-this dac does have special drivers that you need to install before the USB input will work properly. Download them from the manufacturers site.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #72 of 88

do you need to do this, if running foobar with wasapi?

Quote:

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #73 of 88
Hmm, even if you find 384kHz files you'll be still limited to 90kHz max (from spec):
10-90kHz +0.1/-0.1dB (fs=384kHz)

And we can hear until 21kHz (max).

Site:
http://www.m2tech.biz/young.html

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #74 of 88
384 is a sampling rate and not a sound frequency.  It describes the density of the information rather than the pitch of the sound.

I am sure that there are many people around here that know far more than me in this area... and so may be able to provide a more detailed response.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #75 of 88
i am currently home trialling the young and have a query.

in the advanced settings for my spdif output (win7), i have selected the highest rate available (24/192).
now when playing youtube vids, the young displays 192.
does this mean windows is upsampling to this rate or is it a fault?

please note i am only using spdif, not tried usb yet.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back