M1 Active 520 vs bx5a
Sep 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Glitched

Head-Fier
Hey I'm looking for the best bang for buck speaker system for my dorm room laptop.  The rooms roughly 9 feet by 19 feet, pretty narrow rectangle without much spare space.  I would use it primarily for listening to mp3's mostly between 200-320kbps, wide range of genres.  Now I thought I was content with getting the promedia's but then I read about problems with reliability and then this website which seems to strongly favor reference monitors over computer speakers. I don't want to go the vintage route, rather go retail to keep it simple. 

Requirements/Circumstances
  1. Limited desk space,
  2. Audible bass, I realize the monitors at this price range won't be that bassy

Maybe I should get the AV40 and get a cheapish subwoofer to accustom it? Or will the promedia end up sounding about the same?

See second post for what I've currently got my eyes on.

Thanks in advance for the help guys! 

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd say getting the BX5a... with these, you don't need a sub.

I have the AudioEngine A2... and while they have decent thump, I have them hooked up to a spare sub [Yamaha 8"] and it sounds awesome.
I also use my A2's for travel... and while at the Hotel room, they are more than loud enough + bassy enough to cause disturbances :p...

I haven't had a chance to audition the BX5a's, but heard great things about them.

Good Luck

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 3
I think I've narrowed it down to your recommendation Lucidd of the BX5a and the Alesis M1 Active 520.  The 520 cost 200 or 160 dollars (the later has USB + DAC), and the USB version sounds specced slightly differently, but maybe good enough especially at that price. 

Has anyone heard much of or dabbled with the M1 Active 520 USB/non-USB versions?  I'm just looking for good sound quality (including bass) for listening to music, not mixing or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back