M.I.A. is the ****
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
Kala is amazing so refreshing.

$20 and Paper Planes are my favs.

Ever since I stumbeled across some amazing electronic (bjork and the knife) a few months ago i've discovered soooo many amazing artists.

edit: I can't stand the single Jimmy though

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah. The stuff I've heard from her is really good. Refreshing is a good word to describe it. I just hope she doesn't flame out. I have such a crush on female MCs like her and Jean Grae with the mad skillz.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 11
also track down her first mixtape - piracy funds terrorism

she's been around for like 5 years now right? she's getting better and better.

other good new(ish) mcs:

amanda blank (drrrty)
kid sister
miss kitten

if you end up liking amanda blank she also raps on the spankrock album "yoyoyoyo" though if you like MIA you might like spankrock anyway.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$20 and Paper Planes are my favs.

You've gotta love The Pixies reference in "$20", as well as The Clash template on "Paper Planes."

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by swoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also track down her first mixtape - piracy funds terrorism

she's been around for like 5 years now right? she's getting better and better.

Yeah she puts on a great live show. What a Sri Lankan beauty.

Excellent recommendation on the Piracy Funds Terrorism. That is one long continuous mix done by Diplo, her boyfriend at the time, and it absolutely wrecks. Anything Diplo touches seems to turn to gold so you can't go wrong with either of them.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 11
I just downloaded "20 Dollar" and I am impressed! Huge drums, delicious vocal sound and the Pixies being turned into a gigantic (no pun intended) basshead dance tune? Oh yes.

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Apart from $20 I'm kind of disappointed with this album. I loved Arular but somehow don't gel with this one. It's gotten rave reviews all over as being one of the most innovative albums in a long time but I just don't get it. It's simply an ok album for me.

I agree with Swoon on the Spankrock recommendation though! Fun and quite clever album. It's really a bombardment of clips from famous songs from a pretty wide array of genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back