M Hornet Heating up on recharge
Feb 13, 2007 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been using Radioshack 9v 120mAh rechargeables in my Hornet. I notice, however, that the unit gets hot, very hot, after a day hooked up to the charger (it was one that I believe Ray bundled with the Hornet to the original buyer). I also get only about four or five hours of playtime from a single charge. That's not a huge problem, but I fear the excessive heat will damage the amp.

I've tried other rechargeables and they have all the fitting problems others have mentioned here.

Is there a better choice of rechargeable for the Hornet?

TIA

Andy

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I've been using Radioshack 9v 120mAh rechargeables in my Hornet. I notice, however, that the unit gets hot, very hot, after a day hooked up to the charger (it was one that I believe Ray bundled with the Hornet to the original buyer). I also get only about four or five hours of playtime from a single charge. That's not a huge problem, but I fear the excessive heat will damage the amp.

I've tried other rechargeables and they have all the fitting problems others have mentioned here.

TIA

Andy

Yes the ones Ray offers for $15.00 Tysonic and Accupower both will give you 20+ hours. The accupower does also heat up but I have had no problems with either.

To buy such a high quality amp and then skimp on the batts shame shame LOL!

Just kidding! Picj up the Tysonic and you will love it!

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Hi everyone,

TIA

Andy

You have a bad battery that is not holding charge & demanding max current all the time but never getting charged. This is why I try to tell every one stay away from those old batteries that are very low in capacity & never get charged due to problem internally. Please get new batteries. We are offering now 2 high capacity 300ma batteries that have much longer play time for $20.00 only. I have never offered Radio Shack batteries to any one with the Hornet. You should have no fitting problems with the rechargeables that I know of if you purchase them from Thomas distributing as I had ten batteries from 10 different manufacturers that all fit perfectly in the Hornet.
Ray Samuels

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi Ray, Trose ... thanks for the comments. I'll try the batts you recommend.

Incidentally, I didn't mean to imply I got the *battery* from the buyer, but rather the charger (it's plugged in and would take me the better part of half-an-hour to dig through my electronic forest to read the specs:wink:.

So, some heat is normal in recharging the Hornet?

Andy

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Incidentally, I didn't mean to imply I got the *battery* from the buyer, but rather the charger (it's plugged in and would take me the better part of half-an-hour to dig through my electronic forest to read the specs:wink:.

Andy

Yes the Accupower can get pretty warm. The tysonic does not get warm at all. I think Ray is now offering these http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...ery-300mAh.php

I just ordered one to try!

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 9
FWIW I've ordered from Thomas Distributing in the past for my various camera needs and never had a problem. Seems like a good shop to get batteries from.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 9
I just got my Hornet with the 2 high capacity 300ma batteries from Ray and see no problems with heat. Also, I was not too familiar with what type of batteries to use but I see that for 20.00 I got a great deal.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Andy

now i'm confused. the Hornet comes with nice batts and a charger too. you should have a tysonic or an accupower, and the wall wart that came with the amp. i'd check with Ray if you got that charger from Rat Shack to make certain it's not going to blow your amp up.

btw i use accupower, i'm so lovin' it.

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey guys! Thought I might jump in here and make an appearance after hiding for a month. My Hornet came with the Accupower and Tysonic, and they both do GREAT. Todd, let me know if the 300mAh does much better, will ya. I thought the Tysonic & Accupower were impressive enough.

Happy Valentines everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back