M-Audio vs. Audioengine vs. Swan
Apr 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

StringBoi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to replace my aging Logitech Z-680's with something a bit nicer. I dont use the 5.1 feature of the logitech and would rather a really nice 2.0/2.1 system.

Last year I had my eyes on the M-Audo AV 40's...then came across the BX5's but have read lots of complaints about quality.  Something about speakers failing after a while.  The Audioengine 5's look really appealing to me but was wondering if the nearly double price tag of the M-Audio 40's...was it worth it for 10watts more? 

I know watt output isnt everything...but today, I read some reviews about Swan's as well...and if I was going to spend over $300 on Audioengines...the Swan M200MkIII's looked really nice...and were 120w compared to the Audioengines 50w I believe. 

Any thoughts about this price range, wattage and quality of all 3 of these makers? 

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Also...would anyone know if my Z-680 sub would still be usable with either of these setups? 

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 7
i personally look at the Freq limits when choosing a speaker, esp a Powered speaker. Fact is if you use the speaker for close up for a computer setup with normal volumes you will never use 90% of what the power that speaker has. Just to give you an idea of watts and power needed At my business (bar/lounge) we use a 30 watt 70volt amp to power 6 small bose 201 speakers (all the speakers run off one cable in mono), at 3am when people want the entire bar loud with music this is the setup to be used, and it is not even turned up 60% of the way....and this is used in an area that can fit 100 of your computer desks in at least. Point is don't look at watts, they mean very little..esp to your computer desk and how close you are to them.

as far as the speakers you mentioned i do have some experience with the M-Audio's (i have the bx8a myself) but not the other two names you mentioned. the Other two seem to be a personal consumer close range speaker where the M-Audio is a true Studio Monitor (a cheap one but still a studio monitor.). If that is the case then understand the consumer speaker market and Studio monitor market are very different from each other, Different purpose almost completely! Studio monitors need to be as close to FLAT as possible and they don't care about any useless to your ears pretty looks. Studio monitors are used by people that depend on them for their business and livelihood. Consumer speakers must look pretty as they double as a peice of furniture or decor of a living space, they tend to have a certain sound signature vs just being flat, and they are just a hobby or a play item to someone more then a studio monitor.

I went with the huge bx8a's because of the freq specs mostly, they ride down low enough to reproduce any instrument without the need of an dedicated sub. I like the flat sound for my computer area as i use a flat dac along the line (Dac-1 usb). I love the full range but flat sound from them really!  You may like a more mellow or lushy sound, something like a tube amp would give, maybe you might like a warmer sound also...either way I would recommend you to learn the difference between the three and what they are really used for and what market are they marketed for. Then try to listen to a few of them if you can to see if this is the sound you want. I would also recommend you to look at Freq limits if you want to just use a 2.0 setup.

if you take the time and do some research and listening you can walk away with something so perfect to your ears....good luck!

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the info.  Made me rethink some of this....I have a quick question though, say I went with the M-Audios BX5a Deluxe, coming from my PC sound card....how exactly do you hook a sub up to that system?  the sound card has 1/8" outputs for Analog, and a Optical....from the looks of the M-Audio, I'd have to get a 1/8th to XLR or TRS for F/R correct?  Would I just use a 1/8th to RCA to my powered sub from the sound card?  Do they even make that or would I have to add another adapter....and would this degrade the quality?  I have a Harman/Kardan powered sub from a HT system...I'm assuming I could just use this right?

I mainly listen to classical (mostly solo string works, orchestral, chamber), but I also love Trance, Dance, Pop.....sounds like the BX5a's might be the better choice, more versatility?  I do like the deep bass from the lower orchestral sections and Trance etc...and would like to feel it from a sub if not having one wouldnt be enough.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Can anyone inform me about my above post.  I'm looking to make a purchase soon and would love to have everything I need, and want to make sure I'll be making the right purchase =)

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 7
The best way to hook up high quality speakers to your computer is this: get a good USB DAC and plug it into your computer. You then pick this in your system properties as your sound output.
Then you run RCA right and left cables from the DAC to a good Subwoofer that has RCA inputs and outputs. Then you run the RCA out to your satellite speakers. If you have the BX5etc speakers with the XLR you would need to run different 1/4 inch cables.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Hmm you could also hit stereo/power amplifiers and go with decent bookshelf speakers Even with no sub out any active sub could easily be connected to amp via high level input using speaker wire 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back