M-Audio Transit
Apr 28, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 9
M-Audio Transit is not a headphone amplifier, but a sound card.

M-Audio builds very high qualirt sound cards, so if you'll be using a computer set-up, M-Audio might be a good place to start. Then you'll add an amp.

EDIT: Btw, HeadRoom BitHead is both an external soundcard and a headphone amplifier.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 9
This thread suits source forum better.

Deja Vu already answered you. I would just add that the main purpose of Transit is to serve as an audio interface featuring line/headphone out, optical out and line/optical in (with 1/8" to Toslink adapter). AKM AK4584VQ codec upsamples up to 24bit/96kHz. Its line out can power headphones too but with low impedance headphones you hear the clipping. Standalone amp solves the problem.

Transit is a bargain soundcard suitable for portable computers. Supports both USB 1.1/2.0. 10' USB A/B cable. Audio Tools software is user friendly, allows to change the sample rate, the operating mode and the latency. Transit supports ASIO.
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread suits source forum better.

Deja Vu already answered you. I would just add that the main purpose of Transit is to serve as an audio interface featuring line/headphone out, optical out and line/optical in (with 1/8" to Toslink adapter). AKM AK4584VQ codec upsamples up to 24bit/96kHz. Its line out can power headphones too but with low impedance headphones you hear the clipping. Standalone amp solves the problem.

Transit is a bargain soundcard suitable for portable computers. Supports both USB 1.1/2.0. 10' USB A/B cable. Audio Tools software is user friendly, allows to change the sample rate, the operating mode and the latency. Transit supports ASIO.
tongue.gif

Excuse the resurrection of an old thread, but is this true? Does the AK4584VQ really upsample everything to 24bit/96khz?

I've just started using my transit with my GL and the results are just astonishing... I've been using this setup more than my Lavry lately. So much detail.

Could this be the result of upsampling?

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 9
i have been using outboard soundboards since about 2001 and serving them to my md system since then as well. the transit has been my final stop as it is detailed, quick, rather noiseless and ... other than the drivers being sort of rubbish and finnicky (windows and mac - sometimes fading to death, pops, clips, stalls etc) it is beautiful and one of the true bargains. i had an ibook and that was my soundcard, my rents computer now is a big beige pc and that is my soundcard (too bad i can not hear over the noise the pc creates though) and it is genious. i love this thing for the sound. paired with supermini, supermicro, ha20, heed, it sings and does everything with extreme beauty. it will drive high imp headphones like dt880, hd600 and some others very well and beautifully, but also feeds up a nice amp like the micro and heed very well. cannot recommend it well enough... buy it with all abandon

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been using outboard soundboards since about 2001 and serving them to my md system since then as well. the transit has been my final stop as it is detailed, quick, rather noiseless and ... other than the drivers being sort of rubbish and finnicky (windows and mac - sometimes fading to death, pops, clips, stalls etc) it is beautiful and one of the true bargains. i had an ibook and that was my soundcard, my rents computer now is a big beige pc and that is my soundcard (too bad i can not hear over the noise the pc creates though) and it is genious. i love this thing for the sound. paired with supermini, supermicro, ha20, heed, it sings and does everything with extreme beauty. it will drive high imp headphones like dt880, hd600 and some others very well and beautifully, but also feeds up a nice amp like the micro and heed very well. cannot recommend it well enough... buy it with all abandon

Exactly. Ironically I've had mine for quite a while too, but didn't use them as the headphone out was not very good for my grados (low impedance; too much bass roll-off). But through my amp it's incredible.

And surprisingly, even with all that detail, there is so little sibilance...

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 9
holy ancient threads batman! my transit has been my go-to dac at work for a while now. combined with a jmt built maxed-out meta42 and beyer dt250-250 and an external drive with all my music, i'm good to go on almost any pc.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Hello,

i am also interessted in a good but "cheap" DAC for my Nootebook/Baby STAX Combi. Can you hear the difference with that M-Audio Transit. Is the DAC comparable to the ones used in 300-500$ CDPs?

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jungblut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

i am also interessted in a good but "cheap" DAC for my Nootebook/Baby STAX Combi. Can you hear the difference with that M-Audio Transit. Is the DAC comparable to the ones used in 300-500$ CDPs?

It depends on what you're looking for in a dac, but I think it would pair exceptionally well with a baby stax. It has a very detailed top end and at least for me, seems to control sibilance well. I understand those phones roll off the highs a bit, so this might help.

It sounds ridiculous, but in many ways I'd put it up against my $1000 DA10. The Lavry is surely more refined and relaxing, but the transit seems to present more detail. It could be psychological. I don't know. But I don't think the DA10 is leaps and bounds ahead (though this is probably more due to jitter in my setup).

One thing to look out for is the headphone amp on it; it's not as good as the DAC. But nothing for you to worry about obviously.

In any case, it is absolutely worthwhile as an upgrade over an onboard chipset. Dunno how it compares to CD players as I have never owned one (flac all the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back