M-audio transit vs audiophile (usb or firewire)
Sep 6, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 23
The extra 2 pins (it's actually 4 and 6, not 3), are there primarily to provide power, so no, a 4 pin port will not power your Audiophile. You could always buy a PCMCIA card that has 6 pin firewire ports in it...

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz

fntms: Have you set the latency in your drivers to very high? Not doing this is the only thing that causes crackling in my output/dac. Also DS / ASIO sound very similar but in the end DS is still unable to produce a bit-perfect output. ASIO will, and I doubt jitter differences are present as this is related to the clock / hardware not the windows kernel mixer & directx vs ASIO

For some reason mine prefers 'high' to 'very high' latency, I get less crackling that way...

Sep 6, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #18 of 23
What drivers are you folks using? My audiophile control panel measures latency in terms of number of samples the driver collects before sending them to the app as input.... its a range between 128 and 4096. Are you folks still stuck with the old buggy driver?

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spikyho
Thanks for clarifying, I really want to go for the transit, however I'm not sure that I could mod it to output coax. I've looked through the guide and being the serious DIY noob that I am, I don't think I'd even want to risk trying and then ruining a perfectly good $70 piece of equipment. If you're saying that Coax is that much better than toslink, do you think I should just go for the hagusb since I wouldn't have to do DIY?

I can't comment on the hagusb. Coax may be better, but that is not to say that the digital output is not bad on the hagusb. Some people here for reasons unknown even seem to sware by the toslink interface rather than my approach of swaring at the toslink interface.
smily_headphones1.gif
In the end the difference will not be major compared to say which DAC you use.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

I can't comment on the hagusb. Coax may be better, but that is not to say that the digital output is not bad on the hagusb. Some people here for reasons unknown even seem to sware by the toslink interface rather than my approach of swaring at the toslink interface.
smily_headphones1.gif
In the end the difference will not be major compared to say which DAC you use.

Well I'll probably be hooking the transit up to a budget DAC like the Zhaolu or DAC-AH so I'm gonna guess that it won't really make a difference whether I use toslink or Coax.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 23
You would be surprised. Mind you this is something you can consider down the line as an upgrade option, maybe even wait till the warrenty runs out.

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

You would be surprised. Mind you this is something you can consider down the line as an upgrade option, maybe even wait till the warrenty runs out.

I am fairly certain that a decent optical cable will fare better since coaxial cables tend to pick up EM interference (especially around computers), and attempting the coaxial mod himself could end up in ground loop buzz or ruining the unit.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #23 of 23
Oh no here we go again.
rolleyes.gif

If you search for terms jitter, optical, coax in this forum from my nickname you will stumble across a 4 page or so thread on this topic. The jist of it was ground loops can't happen for any transformer coupled, or digitally isolated device (I believe the zahlou is), Interference is only remotely a problem if you don't use a shielded cable and live in a radiostation, and the problems inherent to the optical interface make it far worse then coaxal.

What a lot of people do not realise is that when S/PDIF spec was first released designers and engineers did not know about jitter induced problems. That came many years later. As such the specification, the connectors, and indeed the entire toslink interface is unsuitable for this really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back