M-Audio Transit USB
Jul 6, 2005 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sanne

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've decided to go with the Transit USB paired up with my Perreaux SHX1 amp. I've got a laptop, so I could only decide between external sound cards. From what I've read this little card is pretty good. For those that have the Transit or have used it, what are your impressions of it when paired up with a decent amp?

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 5
It's a good little sound card. I actually have the Sonica which the Transit replaced but I have gathered they sound about the same. I have had my Sonica modified with better caps which makes it sound REALLY good but in stock form they are very good for what they are. I actually have used one with the Perreaux SXH-1 and found it's a good pairing. They make a very nice combo and would make anybody looking for better than average audio playback happy and would only make the obsessed audiophile types scoff at it. Enjoy it!

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 5
***Newbie Alert***

How does the Transit compare to the Audiophile USB? What's different besides the external power supply?

Stupid question: Is the Transit a DAC or just a soundcard? If it's not a DAC, where is the DAC in a computer, Transit, amp set-up?

I'm trying to decide between Transit and Audiophile USB and I just can't get my brain around it.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by supercub
***Newbie Alert***

How does the Transit compare to the Audiophile USB? What's different besides the external power supply?

Stupid question: Is the Transit a DAC or just a soundcard? If it's not a DAC, where is the DAC in a computer, Transit, amp set-up?

I'm trying to decide between Transit and Audiophile USB and I just can't get my brain around it.

I know there has been discussions in the past comparing the Sonica (which is supposed to sound just like the Transit for the most part) to the Audiophile USB, you might try a search. I personally don't know.

The transit is considered an external sound card and it is in fact a DAC. The DAC in your computer is on the sound card. If you have sound coming from your computer then you have a sound card and there is a DAC on it. The Transit takes the digital audio from the USB port and converts it (DAC) to analog via a 1/8" output. Hope that helps.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by derajfast
portability aside, which would you recommend to power my sennheiser hd650s.....the m audio transit or the echo indigo?

Honestly, neither. Either will "work" but neither of them are made to power the likes of the HD650's, properly drive them that is. I am betting the Echo Indigo probably will do a better job given it's got a more direct power source (via computer's supply versus the Transit's USB tapped power supply) for one thing. I'd look at an amp for the HD650's if you can, you will get a lot more out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back