M-Audio Transit input issue
Jan 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dviswa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Sometime back I bought a Transit from somebody here on Head-fi. It did not come with the optical - 1/8 mini adapter. It did not matter so far, but now I want to take the S/PDIF output from the cable box and pull it into my laptop for further processing. I bought an Toslink Mini adaptor hoping that this is what I was missing.

I plugged it in, configured the driver for 2in and 2 out, but I am unable to detect any input.

It is possible that the adapter is not the right one, can a Transit owner please verify.

It is also possible that the input on my Transit is busted, I do not have the cd for Transit either. Does M-Audio provide any diagnostic software? Is there anyway to determine that the input is not busted?

It is also possible I may be doing something stupid, please help.
Thanks,
Dinesh

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes, the problem is rather simple. The Transit has a digital output, not a digital input.

The Transit has an analog input, and this is what you want to use if you want to further process the sound from your cable box.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I stand hugely corrected, and I am a Transit owner. </embarrassed>

FWIW, my iRiver H140 also uses a 1/8" single jack for both line-out and optical out, and I use the same adapter that you linked.

Did you try using the jack for analog input to see if that part was functioning properly? What software are you using?

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Socrates63,

Can you please do me a favor? Please run a spdif in through that adapter into your Transit and let me know if you have better luck? I would really appreciate this.
TIA,
Dinesh

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I'll look for my Transit (I've replaced it with a HagUSB) and try the digital input and let you know.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi Socrates63,

Have you had the chance to look for the Transit?

Please....
Dinesh

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Yesterday, I was playing with it again and I noticed that whenever the adapter was pushed into the input the output got disabled. Output reappeared once the input adapter was removed. It is as though Transit can only oprate in a simplex mode and not full duplex as I had assumed. Ie., it can process either the input or process the output but not both together.

Is this something anybody has seen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back