Nov 27, 2003 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Nov 29, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 12
No one has this DAC
confused.gif
?

Nov 29, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the m-audio superdac, I have posted about it several times here in the past.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 12
From the little I have read about it, it seems like a good DAC. It says on M-Audio's site it does 24-bit with 128x oversampling. Does this mean it upsamples the signal to 24/5.6 MHz?

Why had I never heard of it before? I have heard people rave about the ART DI/O, but very little about this DAC.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: SB - It seems you like the DAC from what I have read...did a I infer correctly?

EDIT2: pk- is it bad the SuperDAC gets the clock from the transport (I read that in the links you provided me)?

THANK YOU!

Nov 29, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
EDIT2: pk- is it bad the SuperDAC gets the clock from the transport (I read that in the links you provided me)?

Well it doesnt have any fancy reclocking, so it means the M-Audio will be *extremely* transport critical I'd imagine, a reclocked CD player or DVD player will probably be critical to get the best sound from it. I wonder how an audiophile grade soundcard would do with it....

Also, I've read that you need an upsampler to get the best from it. This can be done with an audiophile soundcard too. They have their uses.

However, by all accounts, if you have a good transport, and upsampler, with a few mods, it can be a real giant killer. I think the DAC is very similar to one used in audiophile soundcards so it just goes to show how much in leaps and bounds they have come.

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Why does it want an upsampler? It has one according to the site.

Also, does it have RCA outputs? It does not list them on the site. They mention XLR - but no RCA.
Thanks.

Nov 29, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Well it doesnt have any fancy reclocking, so it means the M-Audio will be *extremely* transport critical I'd imagine, a reclocked CD player or DVD player will probably be critical to get the best sound from it. I wonder how an audiophile grade soundcard would do with it....

I have yet to have a single locking problem with the unit, whether it's to my audigy 2 card or standalone transport.
Locking IMO is excellent.

Quote:

Also, I've read that you need an upsampler to get the best from it. This can be done with an audiophile soundcard too. They have their uses.

Yes, upsampling with foobar 2000 works excellent, it really improves the sound, making it sound more sophisticated IMO.
There has been some discussion about this foobar upsampling thing btw, some say it actually reduces SQ compared to straight use of 48 khz.

Quote:

However, by all accounts, if you have a good transport, and upsampler, with a few mods, it can be a real giant killer. I think the DAC is very similar to one used in audiophile soundcards so it just goes to show how much in leaps and bounds they have come.

Yes, you get the same DAC as used in several m-audio cards, plus the rest of the components are high quality as well.
superdac + audiophile USB should be match made in heaven is my guess.... I am actually looking for a audiophile right now, hopefully I can comment on this combo sometime in the future.

Also, I think something like a monarchy DIP and a replacement for the cheap wallwart are pretty much essential if you want to get the maximum out of the little critter.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by akar
No RCA outs.

XLR and 1/4" mono outputs.

You'll need some 1/4" mono to RCA adapters from Radio Shack.

Or you can use Monster studiolink 500's, Guitar Center has these, they're $15 for each mono cable (1 meter)

Nov 29, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 12
I have one of these and I do like it. It was a big step up from the POS Sony changer that I had.

It has great timing and rythm, but not as dynamic or full sounding as the Rotel RCD-971 my brother has. To my ears it has an airier sound than the rotel. I dont have the wall wart upgrade though, which is said to improve this aspect of the sound by a good degree.

I won't trade it in thats for sure and I am trying to get that new power supply.

Can anyone help me here in getting one of these wall warts? I have been trying to get one, but where I live, buying from Hosfelt is a very pricy proposition ($50 minimum spending for a $4 adapter!!!).

Anyway It is a good DAC and I dont think I have tapped into its full potential as yet.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back