M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe help
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 9
Your sound card is unbalanced so you're not really gaining anything by going to the XLR style connectors. The XLR connectors are going to be operating as unbalanced so you're not gaining a balanced connection by using them. You'll accomplish the same using the HOSA mini stereo to dual 1/4" TS (Tip Sleeve) cable.

You might want to consider using some sort of passive or active volume control between your sound card and the speakers. The software based volume control in Windows is fussy and has a habit of getting reset to 100% volume at inconvenient times. An external volume knob makes volume setting much more predictable and convenient. Something like a TC Electronic Level Pilot or SM Pro Audio Patch+ or a use home stereo preamp.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Stevo- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a pair of M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe yesterday to increase the sound quality out of my Auzen X-Fi Prelude on my computer. What would be the best way to connect them? I picked up a pair of HOSA STEREO 3.5mm (M) - TWO XLR(M), 3m (9.9 ft.), but, I'm thinking there must be a better match than this. Help?

They will be fine. The low outpt impedance of the soundcard will minimize any losses due to the capacitance in the cable.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your sound card is unbalanced so you're not really gaining anything by going to the XLR style connectors. The XLR connectors are going to be operating as unbalanced so you're not gaining a balanced connection by using them. You'll accomplish the same using the HOSA mini stereo to dual 1/4" TS (Tip Sleeve) cable.

You might want to consider using some sort of passive or active volume control between your sound card and the speakers. The software based volume control in Windows is fussy and has a habit of getting reset to 100% volume at inconvenient times. An external volume knob makes volume setting much more predictable and convenient. Something like a TC Electronic Level Pilot or SM Pro Audio Patch+ or a use home stereo preamp.

I would avoid passive volume controls unless you have really low capacitance cables as there s a tendancy to roll off the highs with higher capacitance cables even in short runs. Capacitance should be limited to less than 100pf per meter to work well with passive volume controls. The sound of high capacitance cables has very negative effects that are very noticable on piano recording as they end up sounding dull & lifeless compared to low capacitance cables. I make my own cables as a result of this.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would avoid passive volume controls unless you have really low capacitance cables as there s a tendancy to roll off the highs with higher capacitance cables even in short runs. Capacitance should be limited to less than 100pf per meter to work well with passive volume controls. The sound of high capacitance cables has very negative effects that are very noticable on piano recording as they end up sounding dull & lifeless compared to low capacitance cables. I make my own cables as a result of this.

Passive volume controls aren't that fundamentally flawed. The general rule is to use short cable runs when using a passive volume control. This is desktop audio. Cable lengths are going to be short. Passive volume controls are used in studios and by obsessive audiophiles. In the right situation they do a fine job. And the price of the TC Electric or SM Pro Audio is reasonable for pairing with monitors in the BX5a price range. Hard to justify spending as much on a volume control as you spent on the speakers and amp.

Course you can always go active. Use a regular home audio preamp. I'm using a Mackie Big Knob which is active. The Big Knob has its faults but does the job I need it to do. But as a volume control only, it would be hard to suggest to the OP to spend $300 on a volume control for $300 powered monitors unless you need the extra connectivity that something like the Big Knob provides.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Passive volume controls aren't that fundamentally flawed. The general rule is to use short cable runs when using a passive volume control. This is desktop audio. Cable lengths are going to be short. Passive volume controls are used in studios and by obsessive audiophiles. In the right situation they do a fine job. And the price of the TC Electric or SM Pro Audio is reasonable for pairing with monitors in the BX5a price range. Hard to justify spending as much on a volume control as you spent on the speakers and amp.

Course you can always go active. Use a regular home audio preamp. I'm using a Mackie Big Knob which is active. The Big Knob has its faults but does the job I need it to do. But as a volume control only, it would be hard to suggest to the OP to spend $300 on a volume control for $300 powered monitors unless you need the extra connectivity that something like the Big Knob provides.

I do have experience with passive & even built a passive preamp with switchable loudness compensation back some years ago but cable selection was a nightmare as far as reducing the losses. I eventually ended up using some cables that a friend of mine made using high impedance air dielectric antanea cable which yielded very low capacitance & worked very well with the high output impedance of the passive preamps. These were less than 50pf per meter. With that I had pretty much everything I wanted in the sound.

Unfortunately I had to give it all up when I moved to the east coast from the west coast As I didn't have room for it all.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question about this too.  I bought a pair of Bx5a deluxe monitors but don't have the money right now to buy a better soundcard or a DAC.  All I can do at this moment is connect my monitors to my headphone jack (HP envy 14).  If I buy the TC electronic level pilot, do I connect my computer to the level pilot using the 3.5mm (M) - two XLR (M) cable and connect the level pilot to the monitors using XLR cables? 

How would I connect my monitors if I bought the SM pro nano patch instead?

I know that XLR cables are for balanced sound but if my sound in unbalanced does it matter if I use XLR cables?  I heard that its was okay but I would just get unbalanced sound (I ask this because the level pilot has only XLR).  It would cut some of the cost if I didn't have to buy converters.  My monitors wouldn't fry or anything would they?

I'm really new at this and the Bx5a's are my first quality speakers/monitors.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question about this too.  I bought a pair of Bx5a deluxe monitors but don't have the money right now to buy a better soundcard or a DAC.  All I can do at this moment is connect my monitors to my headphone jack (HP envy 14).  If I buy the TC electronic level pilot, do I connect my computer to the level pilot using the 3.5mm (M) - two XLR (M) cable and connect the level pilot to the monitors using XLR cables? 

How would I connect my monitors if I bought the SM pro nano patch instead?

I know that XLR cables are for balanced sound but if my sound in unbalanced does it matter if I use XLR cables?  I heard that its was okay but I would just get unbalanced sound (I ask this because the level pilot has only XLR).  It would cut some of the cost if I didn't have to buy converters.  My monitors wouldn't fry or anything would they?

I'm really new at this and the Bx5a's are my first quality speakers/monitors.

Thanks!

You could use the 3.5mm(M) - 2 XLR right from your headphone jack to the speakers themselves. There is no need to put anything between them if you don't want to. I am using unbalanced signals. I have RCA-->XLR cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back