M-Audio Sonica USB
Aug 17, 2002 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

briano

New Head-Fier
I just got an M-Audio Sonica from Comp-USA. This device is basicly a combination D/A converter and S/PDIF Optical output. I haven't used the optical output, but the line out is orders of magnitude better than my laptop line out. This allows me to listen to my MP3 collection (I know, purists don't like MP3, but check www.r3mix.net). I have all of my CD collection in MP3 format and this device now makes the laptop sound as good as a my panasonic portable CD player. Almost zero noise. Wonderful clarity.

And it costs.......... $79 bucks!

Best money I have spent (next to my Etys!)

The other nice thing is that you can take it with you since it is USB attached. Use it at home or work.

I listened to it with both my DSP Pro, and my Supreme.

specs are at www.midiman.net.

Any one else heard it?

Aug 17, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 5
what do you hook up the Sonica to? My understanding is that its a line out, not a headphone out, right? Still, that would be very nice to have to hook up my computer to my stereo (or my TA).

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the Wheatfield USB headphone amp? that is a product i'd like to own.

ooops. i just read your post more carefully. don't mind me.

Aug 18, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
A comparision to Griffin's iMic and the Egosys U2A would be interesting, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Just picked up a sonica. Great piece of equipment. I can hear so much more detail the Bass is so tight. The bass seems like it's stronger but faster somehow. The rest audio spectrum seemed to have picked up some detail also. The optical out seems somehow clearer than before along with the desktop speakers. Tips so far, stay with the drivers from 6/02 and avoid the drivers from 9/02. I lost CD and WAV volume control!!! Sound also seemed to change. Once I uninstalled those drivers and put the ones from the install CD back in every thing came back. Another glitch in the unit is during time of HIGH CPU usage there will be a 1/2 second of static pops. None of those issues over shadow this things performance.

My big problem now is that I don't have a headphone amp yet!!

I am waiting on the mini Meta amp from fixup!!!

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the review guys! I've been drooling after the Sonica for about a month, but couldn't decide
smily_headphones1.gif
Good to hear there's volume control... will be very handy for my purposes
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back