m-audio sonica optical out
Jun 9, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Do you have power conditioning? A good interconnect? If not, upgrades past a certain point get harder to hear.

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 15
The output is just ok. You'll need a 1212m to make a sizeable difference.

But it's all related in increasing performance. No power conditioning and ok interconnect masks the real improvements of the digital out.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The output is just ok. You'll need a 1212m to make a sizeable difference.

Hunh? In the OPTICAL out? Both the Sonica and the 1212 should produce the SAME digital output. The bitstream coming off the Sonica should not be upsampled or anything like that (if you have the current drivers), and should be the same as the 1212. The optical source should make very little difference. (Yes, the ANALOG output of the 1212 should be an upgrade over the Sonica, but that's not what's at issue here.)

So, what is at issue here is the performance of the Sonica's analog out vs. the AOS DAC's analog out, and the PIMETA vs. the PPA. For what it's worth, I would indeed agree that the AOS DAC ought to sound better than the Sonica, and this is weird.

Quote:

But it's all related in increasing performance. No power conditioning and ok interconnect masks the real improvements of the digital out.

Hmm, or maybe it's because he's driving 3Ks, which are pretty easy to drive. The circuit topology of the PIMETA is derived from the PPA, and perhaps there really isn't an enormous difference between them when driving low-impedance cans. My impression was always that the PPA was designed to meet the needs of those with hard-to-drive 300-ohm Senns. I mean, isn't that always one of the arguments used by the 3K crowd, easier to drive? So maybe that part is not surprising? I'm speculating, I know.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 15
I have the sonica 1205 drivers, and yes i'm using the CD3Ks.

The reason I ask is that I can hear only a small improvement with the AOS DAC/PPA vs the Sonica Analog out/Pimeta. MisterX suggested that I try it with a different source, as the Sonica might not be very good. I'm going to bring my cheap DVD player into work on the weekend, as it has an optical out I can try.

Right now, for a rather large investment (DAC + PPA + Triad Diamond Buffer + Interconnect) i'm not seeing much improvement. The bass is more extended and the clarity improved very slightly, but there was no "wow". I'm seriously considering selling everything and just getting some 250-80s and running them from my PC headphone out.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Hunh? In the OPTICAL out? Both the Sonica and the 1212 should produce the SAME digital output.

The optical out of the emu is driven by better clock and stuff so has less jitter. This is audible (if your system can resolve it of course).

On another note, how long have you had these things burnin commando?

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
The bitstream coming off the Sonica should not be upsampled or anything like that (if you have the current drivers)

This isn't correct. I was never able to get a bit-perfect output from the Sonica with the most current drivers on Windows XP. Going back to the 1.2.05 drivers fixed the problems for me.

As for the digital output's quality, the Sonica isn't too bad. I've had occasional problems with my homemade DAC losing sync with the Sonica's digital output, which suggests that it may have an above average amount of jitter, but your mileage may vary, and it will depend on the quality of the S/PDIF receiver on your DAC. My DAC uses a receiver from Crystal Semiconductor.

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
This isn't correct. I was never able to get a bit-perfect output from the Sonica with the most current drivers on Windows XP. Going back to the 1.2.05 drivers fixed the problems for me.

Sorry, I meant the *correct* driver, not the *current* driver. My bad.

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 15
I'd guess it's a combination of both the phones and the digital out. I've heard that the AOS DAC really varies in quality of output depending on the quality of the digital input. I think you might just have to try out other sources and see if it makes a difference.
Also, the CD3k is relatively easy to drive. Although it improves in performance with an amp like any other good headphone, it takes much less juice than, say, a HD650 or DT880 to have it sounding good.
When it comes down to it, you'd already reached the point of diminishing returns when you had the PIMETA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back