M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Impressions
Aug 9, 2004 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bluestreak

New Head-Fier
Well I went ahead and bout a Revo 7.1 card, installed it the other day and connected my Senn HD590 to it. My impressions:

Does this card give better sound quality than my old Audigy 1? Yes. Wait, let me clarify that: Holy *bleep* yes.

The most significant difference from what I could tell was the new warmth and tightness in bass control. The Audigy was positively diarrhetic with its bass control, just distorted and crapping all over the sound stage. While the Audigy sounded brassy with its treble along with a significantly recessed midrange, the Revo did far better by giving off a smoother treble, and pushing the midrange more to the forefront, markedly better than the Audigy managed to do, which is important considering that a recessed midrange was one of the weaknesses of the HD590 headphones.

Line noise (with monitoring off) was virtually nil. Quiet as a mouse. The software bundle was a joke though. With the exception of WinDVD, I got a some weird Watersking game and a few other throw-ins. Lame.

However, it's also a plus, because simplicity can often be a beautful thing. While you can do a vanilla installation of Audigy with just the drivers, a full installation leaves you learning right away just how crappy Creative's software can be. The problem here is that people tend to realise this AFTER they installed all of Creative's moose droppings, and uninstalling it all can be one royal pain in the....

But anyhow, I was glad to see the reports of the M-Audio's superiority in sound clarity (at least over the Audigy 1) was not unfounded.

EXCEPT.....

I have a problem with the card. I also have an All In Wonder 8500DV ATI card with TV tuning, and much to my dismay, the M-Audio will not function worth a damn with the TV Tuner. When using the Init Wizard of ATI's MMC to try to detect the audio, it gives an error that forces me to use the "CD Player Audio" line. This results in no volume control over the TV Tuner, and the loss of ability to use TV on Demand (When it works you get the feared echos of two sound signals going at once). If you use the latest MMC update (9.1) TV on Demand simply crashes. You also have to manually switch on "monitoring" to get any kind of signal at all, but even with the signal input turned down, this results in line noise when the Line in is not in use.

As if to add insult to injury, when the M-Audio picks up sound from the TV Tuning, it clearly sounds better to that of the Audigy.
mad.gif

What pisses me off about this was that I researched beforehand to see if there were any issues between the card and TV tuning. I had read before that there was an issue similiar to the problem with Creative's Audigy line and ATI's TV tuning, but that M-Audio had produced a driver update to resolve those issues, so I thought I was in the clear. Wrong. The latest driver update didn't do squat for me.

Finally, my requests for technical support from M-Audio are going ignored. Nice.

I'll probably be dumping the card on eBay, and replace it with an Audigy 2 ZS instead. Even though Creative's tech support and driver support ranks somewhere up there with terrorism on my "Things I Really REALLY hate" scale, the fact is because they pretty much dominate the market, they have a hordes of angry users that will basically bludgeon them into providing needed updates for their cards. That's why there's a clear line of drivers from Creative that will allow their Audigy cards to function with ATI's TV tuning.

That said, while I love the sound quality of the M-Audio, I'm extremely disappointed that their latest drivers did not resolve the issue, and that they have non-existent tech support. I might consider buying the Audigy 2 ZS in addition to the M-Audio for a 2 sound card solution, but what I'll probably do is install both cards, then see how they compare in quality. If the difference is not that marked, and the card functions without a hitch with the TV Tuning, it's off to eBay M-Audio goes. Then if I'm in the mood for really top notch quality, I could always add an EMU 1212m later on.

The sad thing is that as bad as Creative's tech support can be, you can actually TALK to somebody live or at least get a response (sooner or later). M-Audio's problem with tech support is that they have none. Unacceptable.

Maybe though, somebody here with an M-Audio Revo, ATI card and TV tuning could point me in the right direction if they managed to get their setup working? One can only hope!

Overall, I'd give the card 2 out of 5 stars for those with TV Tuners, and 4 out of 5 stars for the rest.

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 14
So you've tried routing the sound from 8500DV to Revo both internally AND externally??? Or is there no internal audio input? That's a shame...

Aug 9, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 14
There's no way to connect internally, so external line-in is your only recourse. Sucks the big one too, even though I know the idea was to produce a card with less circuitry (and thus provide a cleaner signal), this was one case where I could have used an internal solution.

Getting the EMU-0404 wouldn't solve my requirement for having surround sound (at least 5.1), so I'd have to get an Audigy anyway.

I'd dump M-Audio just to spite them for ignoring my tech support requests. Long live the evil she-devil of hell that we all know and love as Creative.
basshead.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 14
Get chaintech for surround,its cheap and not any worse than revo or anything like that.Get 0404 for very good stereo playback and recording or whatever

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Get chaintech for surround,its cheap and not any worse than revo or anything like that.Get 0404 for very good stereo playback and recording or whatever

Actually, for the surround sound it would be worse than the Revo because on the Revo it uses the same high quality DACs for all the outputs while on the AV-710 it uses a Via AC'97 CODEC for the first 6 channels and a good Wolfson DAC for the 7th and 8th.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 14
None of the cards mean sh-- unless it can work with TV Tuning. I'm wondering though, is it possible to use the M-Audio's coaxial/digital out for my headphones instead? Maybe if I use a different line out for the headphones it might resolve the problem...aahhhh who the crap am i kidding.
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 14
Actually, just hook the output of your tv card to the line in of the revo, then go in to the revo control panel, choose the input/other tab, and put a check in the box "enable monitoring". you should now be able to hear the tv sound.
-Mag

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 14
You probably didn't read that my problem isn't not getting sound, but that I cannot control volume through ATI's MMC, and that attempting to use TV on Demand produces two signals, which results in an echo, the reason being is that it is getting sound from the live TV signal, and then sound from the recorded file that stores the video feed since Tv was paused. Creative released drives that resolves this issue for their sound cards, but M-Audio refuses to fix the problem. Worthless company. Worthless driver support and tech support.

I'm going to see if I can get in touch with Audiotrak about their Prodigy line of cards, and determine if their sound cards will work with the TV tuners.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey, I finally got a response from M-Audio tech support, only 5 days later! They're very prompt I see.
biggrin.gif

Here's the response regarding my problems with TV tuning:

"with the Revolution selected as your system sound device, you will ONLY
be able to control volume from the Revolution control panel. If you wish to
use the volume setting of your TV tuner card, you will need to select it as
your system sound device.

go to: START > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio
for 'Sound Playback' default device select the Device you want to use."

I'm not at my PC, but I don't think there's an option to choose another device for the ATI TV Tuner, unless it's their impression that it can act as a virtual sound card, or that I have another sound card on my rig that I can choose from. Oh well.

Aug 13, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 14
This is a problem with ATI's software, not with M-Audio's hardware. You should be calling ATI's customer support line for help in resolving this issue.

That said, if you can't find a solution, instead of going through all the trouble of selling the card on eBay, I'd just download a freeware program that lets you raise and lower the system volume via keyboard hotkeys. Then use the keyboard shortcuts in ATI's software.

Aug 13, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 14
ATI will just say it's an issue with my sound card drivers. They were doing this with Creative sound cards too. Creative would say ATI is to blame, ATI will say Crearive is to blame. In the end Creative released new drivers that fixed the problem. On some of the ATI forums I've read, some of the M-Audio users mentioned that M-Audio knew of the problem but that they were working to fix them. They never did.

The hot key work around wouldn't solve the problem of controlling the volume by remote, nor the TV on Demand issue, where in the latest version it not only fails to mute the live signal, it crashes the system altogether. M-Audio just has crappy driver support. For a card that's suppose to be an all purpose one (unlike the EMU), that's simply unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back