M-Audio revolution 5.1
Aug 30, 2004 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

labeelen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Does anyone already have any experience with this new audio card from M-Audio ?

As I'm interested in a good surround card that can also drive my low-impedance (32 ohm) headphones. I'm currently looking at:

- Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1
- M-audio revo 5.1

Advantage of the Prodigy 7.1 over the revo 7.1 is that the Audiotrak has dedicated headphone pre-amp circuits. A big disadvantage however is availability of this card ... it is not sold in Europe (and in other threads it was even mentioned that it would be discontinued ?)

The new revo 5.1 has a dedicated headphone-out. Can anyone confirm if this also has dedicated pre-amp circuits that can better drive low impedances (compared to revo 7.1)

What is the word on the DACs and ADCs used on the revo 5.1. I've read that this is an AKM 4358, can anyone confirm this ?

Thx,

Louis

Aug 31, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 11
with little modification it will be just as good headamp as cmoy..

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 11
So the Revo 5.1 "may" sound similar to the EMU 0404??? Same DAC?
(or have i read "miss information" ..... tis off the forum
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 11
not the same DAC just same manufacturer and probably same sonic signature, bear in mind there are njm5532 used on revo instead of njm2068 which sound way different too..

Aug 31, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonfed
So the Revo 5.1 "may" sound similar to the EMU 0404??? Same DAC?
(or have i read "miss information" ..... tis off the forum
smily_headphones1.gif
)

It seems the DAC used in Revo same as Juli@, thus judging by my own ears after listening to both Juli@ and 0404, I prefer 0404 more for better details and dynamic.

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 11
any word on the Revolution 5.1's gaming competance?

I've been holding out for an M-Audio card that offered the Revo 7.1's sound quality + better gaming performance. It says on paper that the 5.1 is supposed to be improved in terms of CPU usage but it'd be nice read some reviews...

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
M-Audio just confirmed to me"

"...The Revolution 5.1 has a dedicated headphone output that is 4dB hotter than it's speaker outputs. We have had no problems driving 32ohm headphones with very low noise, although some headphones are more efficient/sensitive than others. This will most likely be fine.
..."

I can't really tell how much of a difference 4dB makes (anyone ?)

... but I've ordered one anyways, first shipments in the Netherlands will be within 2 to 3 weeks.

Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back