M audio revo too bright?
May 20, 2004 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

amol

500+ Head-Fier
I am just getting really tired of the sound of the revo, and its kinda fatiguing, maybe too bright for my choice. I am also a little disappointed with the tranperancy. I dont find it a lot more transperant than my sblive 5.1 card. Why is it so
confused.gif

Should i sell it and get a better card?

May 20, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Get an emu 1212m. It is quite a bit better. I find the cards such as Revo and stuff in it's class to sound about the same.

I don't agree with Revo being close to SBLive though. Are you using a good interconnect?

May 20, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Get an emu 1212m. It is quite a bit better. I find the cards such as Revo and stuff in it's class to sound about the same.

I don't agree with Revo being close to SBLive though. Are you using a good interconnect?

maybe it's your Philips HP 890 ... I almost had a headache the first time I heard them .... it was my friends. anyway I would desribe for you in detail how they sounded just that I'm not to good with words in describing sounds.

Ic's could also be your problem just like Ian said... first time I made one it was to bright for my taste.
Only at my third try using the same set of cables with a slight different configuration I could achive something that was to me a balance sound without too much emphasizing on the highs or lows.

May 20, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 8
You should figure out what's up with your IC. It could makes things easy or hard to distinguish between sources.

I don't know what a modded Revo sounds like so I can't comment on that.

May 20, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 8
the stock revo sound is indeed quite bright and plasticky. Compared to my cd player, the revo sounds like guitars are made of plastic, steel strings sound like nylon, etc.

May 26, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Maybe i guess i was a little hasty
biggrin.gif
the sound of the revo is good afterall, the harshness was due to the fact that i removed the sponge padding inside the drivers and was giving a very harsh sound, probably due to the fact that it was not filtering certain noises, or i am not sure why, and i forgot to put the pads back inside. That was causing the harshness. The sound indeed is quite nice.

May 26, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Also, don't make the mistake of upsampling to 88.2khz on this card. It makes any brightness worse and platickey sounding. I switched back to 96khz and things are much better than before, much closer to my cd player, though still deficient in some ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back