M-Audio Q40 VS Audio Technica M50
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hawkins85

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to possibly replace my Q40's since one of the drivers died and my dealer is holding them for an indefinite amount of time. I was wondering if anybody who may have experience with both the Q40's and the M50's could tell me just how much disappointment I should expect with the bass performance on the M50's going from the Q40's. I particularly refer to the ability of the Q40's to go to extreme volumes (headroom) without distortion at the low end, levels where the HD650's pancake with distortion during the cinematic experience. Do the M50's come close to the Q40's with their near unlimited capacity?
atsmile.gif

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the response, the biggest problem I have with the Q40's is I don't think they last, I've been without a working pair of these for twelve days now and I'm not coping that well. I don't know if & when I'll get a working pair back, there isn't another pair available to buy at present either. As comfortable as I have been with the Q40's, I sold on the HD650's so I don't even have them to fall back on for the time being.

I was familiar with the four way comparison by Pianist but as with most reviews/comparisons it doesn't really describe the maximum reach that these headphones have before distortion.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkins85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was familiar with the four way comparison by Pianist but as with most reviews/comparisons it doesn't really describe the maximum reach that these headphones have before distortion.

Right, which seems to be all the more reason to stay with the Q40. I suggest buying another with a warranty from an authorized retailer, a place you can trust. Maybe also buy DT770 pads from Headroom to mod your new Q40. And then sell your old Q40 after it is received. Or, just buy something inexpensive to keep you occupied until you get your original Q40 back, like maybe the RX700 for ~$35 shipped.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks, I've asked Pianist directly on that thread, so I'm hoping they'd either be compared favourably enough or ultimately rubbished in definitive favour of the Q40's.

Yeah, the RX700's are looking to be the ultimate quick fix, if my dealer doesn't get back to me on Monday I may buy them then.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 19
Can any of the AKG's compete? The K171 MKII for instance.

What can maximum input ratings tell me? M50's allow a maximum of 1200mW whilst the K171 MKII will only allow 200mW, the DT770's only allow 100mW, is this a helpful indication of their capacity for louder volumes or bigger/more impactful bass without distortion?

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 19
It's a matter of preference, not a stomping match. The question is whether you would prefer one or the other. You already know you like your Q40, but the 550 is an unknown to you. Some may prefer one, and others prefer the other. I used to own the Proline 650. If choosing between the Pro 550 or Q40 with Beyer pads, I'd buy the later.

Quote:

Reaching a little higher in the price ranges, the Ultrasone Pro 550 surely stomps on the Q40 right?

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 19
If going Ultrasone, FWIR, I suggest considering the HFI550 (DJ1). Without hearing the headphones first, I wouldn't choose an Ultrasone over the Q40 unless I planned on listening primarily to bass heavy electronica. And that's because that's the music I enjoyed most with my Proline 650.

Quote:

I'd prefer a longer lasting Q40 really, an extended higher frequency range would be a plus. The 550 have bigger drivers than the 650 if that means much.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't choose an Ultrasone over the Q40 unless I planned on listening primarily to bass heavy electronica. And that's because that's the music I enjoyed most with my Proline 650.

I get the impression that Ultrasones are bass bloated in general then, I like that the Q40's pack the punch but are still balanced to a professional\studio standard....

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 19
No, the bass of Ultrasones is known to be tight and extended, the best I've heard in this regard. I suggest searching and reading about the HFI550 or DJ1.

Quote:

I get the impression that Ultrasones are bass bloated in general then, I like that the Q40's pack the punch but are still balanced to a professional\studio standard....

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 19
I agree, and I would never recommend headphones that I've not used. However, making suggestions based on what I've read and experienced with other headphones, no problem. And many have found such suggestions quite helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People shouldn't give recommendations on things they haven't heard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back