M-Audio Q40 or Ultrasone HFI-580?
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #31 of 37
There is actually an acoustic difference between the 770 and 990 pads. The former are made for closed headphones, while the latter for open ones (DT880, DT990, T1). Using the EDT990V on the DT770 (and likely Q40 as well) reduces the amount of bass according to those who tried the swap (for example in this thread), and increases leakage.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
There is actually an acoustic difference between the 770 and 990 pads. The former are made for closed headphones, while the latter for open ones (DT880, DT990, T1). Using the EDT990V on the DT770 (and likely Q40 as well) reduces the amount of bass according to those who tried the swap, and increases leakage.

Is this confirmed? What kind of material difference? Links?

Very best,

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Is this confirmed? What kind of material difference? Links?

I edited the above post to add a link. There is also a mention of the results of the 770<->990 ear pad swap by Mad Lust Envy in the gaming thread here. I did not try swapping the pads, but the ones on the DT880 Pro do feel different and softer.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
No idea, I've never even went as high as 25% on the ZO2.3 even. You might have needed this ZO2.1 version though as it provides a bit higher gain than ZO2.3, at 15-16% it's roughly as loud as ZO2.3 at 19%. Well I could give this a try... use ZO2.3 and lower the foobar2000 volume so I could test with 25%+ volume (otherwise higher than 20% becomes too loud for my liking). Well maybe we have different Realtek chips, I have ALC889 myself which is pretty good for onboard. 

EDIT: Well I tried with 30% source volume and lowered foobar2000 volume a little and even shortly raised the volume level to check how it behaved with the louder output too and didn't hear any distortion at all. Weird, maybe you got a defect unit... But I sure hope that's not your normal listening volume levels. xD Did you plug it the right way too? The Headphones to the speaker icon output and source to the "musical note" icon output jack?

Here's another thing to try... the M-Audio Q40 have replacable cable... try plugging in with the short mini stereo cable between amp and headphone just in case there's some incompabilities with the Q40 headphone cable with the ZO2 jacks... at least for me the jacks are "sinked" in and doesn't make proper contact with Q40 stock cable for the ZO2s I have but I think that was fixed later on though.

Appreciate your tips, testing, and advice!  After some further testing I dropped it off at the shipping center for return.  Must be a defective unit.  I tested the ZO2 in high gain mode with both my Clip Zip and my home theater...  same results as mentioned previously.  Just for fun I tried hooking it up backwards with the headphone into the "note" and the source into the "speaker".  This resulted in silence.    

I just checked my Amazon order and found that the order was fulfilled by DBRoth and not Digizoid...  ???    

Edit:  Your running a better Realtek chip.  I have the ACL888.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 37

Quote:
Please report when you get the velour pads if you notice any changes besides better soundstage, I haven't ordered any replacement pads as I'm satisfied with modding the stock pads and scared of what small changes to sound it would cause that I may possibly not appriciate with the Beyer pads and 25 EUR+shipping is a lot for a pair of pads. :p

BTW, what's with that ridiculously overpowered bass in that video, keeps almost constantly vibrating my ears when paired with ZO2 amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/275459/m-audio-q40-impressions-long-w-pics/120#post_3896523
The pleather pads accentuate the bass and brings it more to the forefront. In turn, it seems to overpower a bit. When I go to the velours the sound has a bit more sparkle and a bit more air. I'm somewhat of a basshead but I prefer the velours. If you want more slam - go with pleather/leather. If you want more of an open sound and don't mind the bass dialed back just a notch - go with velour. It is similar to the DT990s. I find the bass to be too much with pleather/leather and keep velours on mine.

Gonna get these headphones later.. I´m getting hd598 first because I cant get any Q40's at ~100€. HD598 will be same price than Q40 with DT770 velour pads
confused_face.gif
.. Maahantuoja lopetti juuri tuomisen :frowning2:

May 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #37 of 37
Has anybody tried these with the "new" Beyer gel pads? Im pretty sure the gel pads will be more comfortable, but Im not sure if they will fit perfectly or if the sound quality will be effected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back