M-Audio Q40 ear pads and strap padding are disintegrating. Any replacements?
Dec 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

alexjholland

New Head-Fier
Hey, I have a pair of M-Audio Q40 headphones that I got around six years ago.

The ear pads and padding on the strap are disintegrating, leaving black dust on anything they touch.

Anywhere I can get replacements? Ear pads would help, not sure if the strap padding can be changed?

They work perfectly fine, but at the moment it'll be a £90 pair of headphones in the bin, which seems silly.

Any other suggestions to get more use out of them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey, I have a pair of M-Audio Q40 headphones that I got around six years ago.

The ear pads and padding on the strap are disintegrating, leaving black dust on anything they touch.

Anywhere I can get replacements? Ear pads would help, not sure if the strap padding can be changed?

They work perfectly fine, but at the moment it'll be a £90 pair of headphones in the bin, which seems silly.

Any other suggestions to get more use out of them would be appreciated.

Thanks

I also own the Q40s (wonderful closed-back headphones for the price). I am not sure about the headband, but the pads can be replaced with those from Brainwavz, particularly the thick pleather pads, which can be purchased from mp4nation. Other popular options, on which you might find more information in the Q40 thread, include Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads or Beyerdynamic DT770 velour pads.

I currently use the Brainwavz pads. I believe some new options for this pad have been released recently as well.
Best of luck.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Fantastically helpful!

I'm in the UK, looks like these are the ones?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450641618&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=brainwaves+hm5

You recommend pleather, or velour?

That only leaves the headband.. which I'm tempted to simply rip off.

Any other upgrades recommended? They're purely for studio use.

Others have mentioned a 'V Moda cable', any particular reason?

I have the original cable. My only gripe is that it's very long. I wouldn't mind a coiled version!

Any tips appreciated - thanks!

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 5
The stock pads are fairly thin, and leak.  Putting full pleather on will increase the bass and isolation.  The main potential problem is if different pads increase the boominess.  

Some people put velour pads on and think it's great.  That would obviously have less bass than pleather, especially full, thick pleather.  

If you think the stock pads are ok, it shouldn't be too hard to find a generic similar pair to order from China for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back