M-Audio or A5 with STX for Metal
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wirbel

100+ Head-Fier
About to pick up some new speakers for my Essence ST.

Have narrowed it down to Audioengine A5 and M-Audio bx5a Deluxe. The M-Audios are about $100 cheaper, meaning I could add a subwoofer to help out the low end.

I primarily listen to metal (mostly MDM, DM, prog, etc.) and own a pair of Grado headphones. Which setup is more likely to pair well for my music tastes? I am 100% concerned with music, games and movies are of no concern. 

I've also heard of some problems hooking up subs to Essence sound cards.

Any input is welcome.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 13
I have no complaints with my setup for my metal listening pleasure. And with the A5's you don't need a SUB at all IMO.  The op-amps (the 2137P) helps extends the lower end a bit but even before I did that opamp swap, I didn't feel I needed a sub.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 13
I didn't like the m-audio's , there thin sounding a bit harsh and lack bass  you would need a sub with them, i havn't heard the a5's but i would buy them over the m-audios.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Confirms my original idea. Blacks are out of stock in town, 3 week ETA :frowning2: May have to settle for white A5.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Wish they'd had black (sold out in Canada it seems), but white isn't too bad. Sound is incredible though, exactly what I was looking for. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 13
Mar 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I've owned both and I would never choose the A5 over the BX5a for rock and metal. The highs on the A5 is too delicate and don't have the crispness of the BX5a. The A5 sound good by themselves but once I start to compare side by side and switch to the BX5a, every time it sounded like the A5 is too warm and muddy. I even sold my first pair of BX5a (only because the physical condition wasn't too good with scuffs) to a stranger who was deciding to buy my A5 or BX5a after auditioning, he left with the BX5a . I eventually sold the A5 and got the BX5a for a second time.I have the BX5a paired with a sub. With a good source like the Essence, I doubt you will get any harshness. If you can stand grados like I can, the BX5a is really nothing. If you have ever heard a AKG K701, the midrange and highs of the BX5a sound somewhat similar to that in a sense that it is fairly neutral and not colored/sweet sounding as they should be being reference equipment. To me, I felt that the A5 is good for anything but rock and metal.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 13
Which sub are you using?

I mostly use my headphones (RS1 upgrade soon I hope) for metal and serious listening. The speakers are there mostly because sometimes I like to sit away from my PC (same room) and still put on some music. I'm more likely to listen to other genres on speakers, and they are often more for casual listening than for serious listening. That being said, I still want a solid pair. So far the A5s seem 'fun' but they are definitely different from the Grado sound (as you suggest). I'm going to experience them for a few days and see what I think. I can get a pair of M-Audios for $120 cheaper in town, but I know they would require a sub and getting one (at the same time as the speakers) would be annoying. 

Guess we'll see. Thanks guys, more input is welcome.

Quote:
I've owned both and I would never choose the A5 over the BX5a for rock and metal. The highs on the A5 is too delicate and don't have the crispness of the BX5a. The A5 sound good by themselves but once I start to compare side by side and switch to the BX5a, every time it sounded like the A5 is too warm and muddy. I even sold my first pair of BX5a (only because the physical condition wasn't too good with scuffs) to a stranger who was deciding to buy my A5 or BX5a after auditioning, he left with the BX5a . I eventually sold the A5 and got the BX5a for a second time.I have the BX5a paired with a sub. With a good source like the Essence, I doubt you will get any harshness. If you can stand grados like I can, the BX5a is really nothing. If you have ever heard a AKG K701, the midrange and highs of the BX5a sound somewhat similar to that in a sense that it is fairly neutral and not colored/sweet sounding as they should be being reference equipment.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm just using a very old 12" energy sub, EPS-12 is so old that google won't show many results but it functions just fine. The bass isn't too bad but with a subwoofer it definitely sounds more complete. The A5 has a ton of midbass so it is fine without a subwoofer even though it won't reach down that low. A5 reminds me of the old or first iteration of the Sennheiser HD650, very warm bass and midrange but with highs that do not stand out; the sound is mellow. The sound signature is definitely not similar to Grado or AKG, BX5a is closer to these. Hopefully you will have a chance to demo both together somehow.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeh, biggest problem is the fact that stores here have 10-15% restocking fees. So I can buy the M-Audios sometime this week if I'd like, but I'll need to pay between $20 and $40 when I return one. Not that bad though to make the best choice. Will just be unfortunate to demo M-Audio without a sub.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 13
I auditioned the BX5a's, the A5's, and the Swan D1080MkII's. All sounded good, but the M-Audio's definitely need a sub. You need to run 1/8" jacks from your soundcard or DAC to each speaker, or from the Sub to the speaker. The A5's sounded good by themselves. I ended up with the Swan's because they had very good sound, were easy to hook up with just the DAC or through a small sub with high pass RCA outlets, and were less money that either other system.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 13
I have a set of the original BX5's not the BX5a's, These had less bass than the BX5a's but I modded the amps & removed the subsonic filter & now they have decent bass  that extends to 50Hz without help but to get below that I have a modded Tannoy TS10 that has usable output to 16Hz with my mods. I cross it over @ 50hz & my system has excellent sound with anything I play on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back