M-Audio IE-40
Oct 16, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 12
most probobly, considering the 10 are super.fi 3, the 20 super.fi 5 EB and the 30 super.fi 5 pro, i was waiting to see that grace period will ultimate ears give triple.fi users before licensing them to 3rd party. atleast its good if you dont want them in metallic blue, but i dont think its worth the extra $100

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Well on the M-Audio website it says they use "patented Ultimate Ears Technology" So there is definitely some sort of partnership there. Why they cost 100 bucks more than the triple.fi's is beyond me....Is there some sort of improvement to the triple.fi's that m-audio provides or do they just think the fancy silver casings are worth an extra 100 bucks over the metalic blue of the UE's?

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 12
Interestingly enough M-Audio claim seperate drivers for low, med and high frequencies.
UE claim dual drivers for low and mid.

I was under the impression UE's weren't true 3 way, but were triple driver.

Westone 3 (when it launches) is supposed to be the first 3 way triple driver iem i thought.

Hmm

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly enough M-Audio claim seperate drivers for low, med and high frequencies.
UE claim dual drivers for low and mid.

I was under the impression UE's weren't true 3 way, but were triple driver.

Westone 3 (when it launches) is supposed to be the first 3 way triple driver iem i thought.

Hmm

Triple.Fi does have triple drivers, but it does not have 3 discrete crossovers.

I would've preferred a black chrome finish over straight chrome, let alone blue/teal color.

But $100 is certainly not worth the color difference.

-Ed

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 12
So the UE is triple drivers, but 2 of them in a ganged dual driver low/mid woofer and one for highs?

so it's two way, triple driver right?

but the M-audio claims seperate driver for each low mid and high.. hmm maybe it is different inside. but i doubt it somehow. I think maybe M-audio don't know themselves...

gee, you'd think this terminology was made to be deliberately misleading wouldn't you?

and yeah $100 for a tiny bit of chrome, umm no thanks
blink.gif

I'll wait for my 3's.. wont be long now
plainface.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 12
I doubt Ultimate Ears would design an IEM for another company that surpasses their own flagship universal.

I believe it's just a rebranded triple.fi 10 Pro as well. But they do look quite shiny and it's attracting me a little.
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 12
Actually, yes, these are the same earphones as the UE 10pros. Both Ultimate Ears and M-Audio are owned by Avid, who also owns DAW giants, ProTools. I have found their quality to great all around the board, regardless of specific brand, so no worries there.

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 12
O.K., here is the real low down, not just from the mouth of babes. This is taken from Harmony Central.

M-Audio Ships IE-40 Professional Reference Earphones
October 4, 2007

M-Audio®, a division of Avid Technology, Inc., a leading provider of creative tools for computer-centric musicians, is proud to announce the availability of the new IE-40 high-definition professional reference earphones. Featuring patented Ultimate Ears™ triple-driver technology, the IE-40 reference earphones build on the success of M-Audio's popular IE™ series by continuing to make Ultimate Ears reference earphones technology accessible to a wider audience.

The IE-40 professional earphones deliver the finest audio fidelity available. This superb fidelity is achieved through the use of three separate high-definition, precision-balanced armature drivers for high, mid and low frequencies. Armature drivers—the same technology used in Ultimate Ears' premium custom earphones—deliver extended high frequencies, clear, precise mid-tones and superb natural bass. In addition, they are significantly smaller and more accurate than comparable dynamic drivers. The IE-40 reference earphones' audio crossover network routes each frequency to the appropriate high, mid or low driver—exactly the same principle used in the finest studio monitor design.

The IE-40 professional reference earphones also incorporate Ultimate Ears' proprietary dual-bore design to deliver a wider sound stage through separate acoustic canals for high and low channels—thus allowing the sound to mix naturally in the ear itself. In contrast, multi-driver, single-bore designs mix the highs and lows inside the earphone, which narrows the sound, creates audible turbulence and ultimately lowers musical fidelity.

The IE-40 earphones provide 26dB of sound isolation. This greatly diminishes outside noise to deliver a purer listening experience—without the loss of sonic detail that occurs with noise-cancellation technology. Sound isolation also helps protect the ear by allowing the user to hear critical musical nuances at lower volumes. The included universal fit kit features an assortment of foam and silicone tips, allowing users to customize the fit to insure optimal isolation and comfort for hours of listening. The replaceable 46" cable enhances the longevity of this precision instrument and features professional, shapeable over-ear loops that help prevent cable snags. The IE-40 professional reference earphone package includes a 1/4" adapter, protective metal carrying case, flexible attenuator/limiter, cleaning tool and user guide.

Advertisement

As with the entire M-Audio IE line, the IE-40 professional reference earphones employ patented Ultimate Ears technology to deliver an unparalleled personal listening experience. With the same triple-driver architecture, dual-bore design and sonic signature as Ultimate Ears' renowned custom monitors, the IE-40 earphones provide a premium solution that fits any ear at less than half the price.

"Through our partnership with Ultimate Ears, M-Audio has brought professional quality and tremendous value to reference earphones across a wide range of budgets," says Adam Castillo, M-Audio's marketing director. "Thanks to their triple-driver, dual-bore design, the IE-40 reference earphones raise the bar once again, delivering simply the best fidelity available in this type of product short of investing significantly more in custom models."

The IE-40 reference earphones are currently shipping and carry an USMSRP of $499.95.

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, yes, these are the same earphones as the UE 10pros. Both Ultimate Ears and M-Audio are owned by Avid, who also owns DAW giants, ProTools. I have found their quality to great all around the board, regardless of specific brand, so no worries there.

Ah yes, I do somewhat remember. Jerry Harvey founded both Ultimate Ears and M-AUDIO, so I suspect they would have the same parent company.

Here's a picture with all of its accessories:
ie40_focus.jpg

You can purchase them now from Studica for $385.95 with free shipping, which is somewhat more reasonable than the $499 MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back