M-Audio firewire 410
Sep 3, 2006 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

macsaif

New Head-Fier
I want to build a media center pc. I will use it for CD, HDD and DVD playback. I will use external DAC. I need good quality stereo output but I want to have some more outputs to play 5.1 audio. In my opinion Firewire 410 can be a good solution. If you have some experiences with this card please reply. My questions:
1. My friend has Firewire 1804. Is it comparable to 410(output quality, DAC chips)?
2. Can I play 5.1 on FW410? Does it support 5.1 decoding? What do I need to play 5.1?
3. 5.1 decoding - processor or soundcard?
4 If I play CD, can it work in bit perfect mode? 44,1kHz, 16bit(or 24)?

Thank you!

Frank

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 6
I can only answer one of your questions, as I was looking at the same unit. The 410 does not decode 5.1 or any surround sound signals, but it can pass through to something that does.

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Is there some software(program) which I can use to decode 5.1 signal by PC and send to 410?
Some other solution can be the Terratec Phase 26. It has 6 outputs. Does anybody have an experience with this card?
1. Sound quality of 410 vs. Phase26
2. Decoding of 5.1
3. Easy of use

Thank you!

Frank

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I think I found 2 other solutions:
1. I will buy a PCI card and it will be ESI Julia. It can pass trough surround via digital output(if I am right). It has also good quality output. I will connect my stereo speakers and amplifier to the analog output of the card. For 5.1 audio I will buy 5.1 speaker system with optical input and decoder)some Logitech). So I will have good qualitz stereo and also I will have 5.1.

2. I will buy an external card (FW410 or Focusrite Saffire - which is better?) and connect my stereo speakers and an additional center speaker to the analog outputs. I have to decode the signal in PC using some software decoder.

My questions:
1. Which card do you prefer - Julia, FW410 or Saffire (stereo sound quality)
2. Can I have problems with noise from PC with Julia(what is your experience with HF noise) comparing to external cards?

Frank

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 6
I was thinking of getting the Firewire 410, I'm also wondering how to get 7.1 Surround Sound out of this sound card, it says it can on the website.

-8 line outs to mixer or direct surround output
-S/PDIF digital I/O w/ PCM, AC-3, and DTS support

It also says that it requires a software, which is it talking about? and do you just get a bunch of 1/8" to 1/4" plugs into the output of the FW410?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back