M-Audio Fast Track USB issues with guitar software
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LEntless

Head-Fier
Hi,

Pretty sure this is in the right section.

I have a Fast Track USB (first gen, black- smaller, 3 knobs on front). The issue appears when using it as a guitar input device, in programs like Guitar Rig 4/5, Amplitude, etc. The headphone sound in general lacks sustain, and is generally muddy, especially with distorted patches. Playing any heavy/distorted music is a joke, as there is no clarity or sustain for solos. If you palm mute any strings, they sound....like a wet fart- most of the tone is gone. The sound in general sounds like you're always on a cheap neck pickup. Then switch to neck or both, and it somehow gets more muddy. Most distorted patches sound similar. I've tried a long time to eliminate this issue, by modifying patches and changing all available audio settings to no avail.

Other friends with the same setup (with different headphones), have the same issue. The output source doesnt seem to matter, it happens on any headphone, or speaker system, low or high impedance.

I'm wondering if I need a DI box, and/or if the preamps in the fast track are just too weak to drive the guitar properly. 

Bass is an issue as well, but it doesnt sound near as bad as guitar, because the amp models are clean. However, once you add any distortion.....

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Check if the Fast Track has 1Mohm guiar input ... if yes then it should be suitable for el-guitar(s) (->no need for DI-box).
Is the connection clean (zero noise from cable)?
How about levels ... set the gain as hot as possible in Fast Track.
Have you tested with several guitars or with just one (lowering/rising the mics and thicker strings may help a bit)?

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Took a little hunting...

It is 1Mohms. It has a button for line/instrument switching on the back input jack. 

Tried 4-5 good cables, if not more. This is the same for all 3 units I've tested.

Checked, screwed around with all settings and levels (windows and audio settings in Guitar Rig, Amplitude, etc). I may have missed something in those programs; make recommendations and I can try them.

Gain, mix, and outputs don't matter.

4-6 Guitars...2 basses.

Tried 9-42, 10-46, and above....

Raising pickups? Yeah, but that's not the issue. All guitars play awesome through a head and cab. Actually, I could go and buy some cheap 6 inch speaker rock amp and it wouldn't crap out like this always has.

Mic? Just to clarify, my setup (and the other test subjects) are Guitar->Fast Track->PC->Guitar Rig/Amplitude, etc. No microphones used.

Anyway, I'm *very slightly* exaggerating the issue, but I never had to dig the fast track out for a number of years. It/They had the problem since I started using them years ago. I just ignored it as I always had traditional amp equipment that is leaps and bounds better. However, I'm now in a situation where I can't use amps-neighbours.....

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 4
  Took a little hunting...

It is 1Mohms. It has a button for line/instrument switching on the back input jack. 

Tried 4-5 good cables, if not more. This is the same for all 3 units I've tested.

Checked, screwed around with all settings and levels (windows and audio settings in Guitar Rig, Amplitude, etc). I may have missed something in those programs; make recommendations and I can try them.

Gain, mix, and outputs don't matter.

4-6 Guitars...2 basses.

Tried 9-42, 10-46, and above....

Raising pickups? Yeah, but that's not the issue. All guitars play awesome through a head and cab. Actually, I could go and buy some cheap 6 inch speaker rock amp and it wouldn't crap out like this always has.

Mic? Just to clarify, my setup (and the other test subjects) are Guitar->Fast Track->PC->Guitar Rig/Amplitude, etc. No microphones used.

Anyway, I'm *very slightly* exaggerating the issue, but I never had to dig the fast track out for a number of years. It/They had the problem since I started using them years ago. I just ignored it as I always had traditional amp equipment that is leaps and bounds better. However, I'm now in a situation where I can't use amps-neighbours.....

I meat pickups with mics.

If you connect through onboard sound (maybe little low input level but should work, use asio4all to get decent latency) ... still 'issues'?

Maybe you are expecting too much from these ...? Best are equipped with hardware so maybe trying out with a DI box is your choice....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back