M-Audio Delta DiO 2496 Impressions
Apr 19, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

proxops-pete

100+ Head-Fier
Wow!
Simply wow! I got this thing practically brand new off eBay!
I am listening to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" in all of its glory!!
Wow!! This thing blows my Chaintech AV-710 away!!

The sheer clarity!! 32-bit sampling at its purist form sure is powerful in the music world!! Through thrawn's PiMETA, and via my HD-535, the music is even livelier than I remember!!

Yeah, I know this is an old discontinued model but it's a true shame that they did! I in no way need such powerful sound card but boy am I glad that I did...

I wish I knew how 0404 sounded so I could compare! Back in its glorious days, this sucker cost $200!!
eek.gif

Anyhow... it's a sure winnder @ $60!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 14
Cool to hear! $200 aint that much for a soundcard
tongue.gif
That's how much i paid for my Echo Mia card.
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, this sucker has TOS link as well as S/PDIF ... I wish I had some good digital speakers!!
frown.gif
Such clarity... mm...

Apr 19, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 14
I have two DIO24/96 and its unfortunate that it was discontinued. However, ESI filled the gap with the Juli@.

The Juli@ has better DACs with unbvalanced and balanced outputs, has Toslink input and ouput, as well as coax digital I/O up to 192Khz.

Very nice card with a super small driver.

Cheers

Thomas

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
I have two DIO24/96 and its unfortunate that it was discontinued. However, ESI filled the gap with the Juli@.

The Juli@ has better DACs with unbvalanced and balanced outputs, has Toslink input and ouput, as well as coax digital I/O up to 192Khz.

Very nice card with a super small driver.

Cheers

Thomas

Wow... two DiOs?! Are you a pro musician?!
eek.gif

So how does Juli@ fare compared to DiO? Significantly (so you can notice with your ears) or marginally?

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 14
No, not a pro musician but professionally in the computer industry. I have a couple of systems that I use for music listening and the DIO24/96 is a great unproblematic card.

I use the Juli@ to directly drive a vintage pair of Spendor BC1A in my office and I use the balanced output for that.

I have not made direct comparisons with an unbalanced connection of the DIO24/96 and the BC1A while wonderful sounding are on the forgiving side. With these caveats I would say the Juli@ has a bit more detail. It also measure better with regards to noise floor etc. but I have an air conditioner in my office and so the background noise is always higher than what any of these cards can offer.

Cheers

Thomas

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 14
Here are some pics...

First, two box shots...

DiO_Box1.jpg

DiO_Box2.jpg

Now, rear shot w/ 2 RCA jacks being used for output...

RCA_rear.jpg

Here's a shot w/ it inside...

PC_inside.jpg

Yeah... it's late and didn't want to take it out...
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 14
I've got one of these as well and love it (DiO 24/96)

be careful those of you looking for one on eBay that you don't buy the DiO **2448** by mistake, it will be a lot harder to make that one work with XP and I don't think it's supported under Mac OS. The DiO 24/96 is a "Delta" card, whereas the older DIO 2448 is not.

Rhydon, I think the DiO 24/96 should work in the G5, even in the PCI-X slots, sure it's not a PCI-X card, but PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI afaik and M-Audio's site does mention for their cards that:

"All of M-Audio's audio cards have been designed to be PCI 2.2-compliant with support for both 3.3-volt and 5-volt PCI signaling environments. This guarantees compatibility with PCI-X, 64-bit, and standard 32-bit PCI-based systems, including the Apple G5."

Anyway, I don't have a G5 tower to test with, but I wouldn't sell/throw your card away before at least trying it. Or uhm I mean "I'll take it off your hands..." :wink:

Cheers

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Ok... here's a followup question...
I know you can put in upto 4 Delta series cards...
other than allowing way more digital inputs than I would ever care for, are there any other more tangible benefits??!!

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
Ok... here's a followup question...
I know you can put in upto 4 Delta series cards...
other than allowing way more digital inputs than I would ever care for, are there any other more tangible benefits??!!

Nope, it's just more inputs and outputs.

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 14
I know nothing about mods... but my ears are LOVING this sound card!! Wow... Maybe my upcoming Klipsch 2.1's will make them sound better than my old & trusty Altec ACS48!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back