M-Audio BXa5 and AV40
Nov 27, 2011 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RynoWeiss

New Head-Fier
I know this seems like a topic that's been run through a ton of times, but after a lot of Googling I can't find a satisfying answer. I'm looking to get some nice speakers for Christmas to go with an X-Fi HD (the USB version, since I have a laptop.) Since the BX5 D2s came out, the price on the BX5as just dropped to $150 ($135 with a coupon code), which makes it very comparable in price to the AV40s which are $120. From here, it seems opinions on the internet diverge.

Some are of the thought that the BXa5s are superior in sound quality in every way, so that should make the decision easy, but a lot are quick to point out that the BX5as are studio monitors, and thus the sound they produce isn't always pleasant for casual listening. Since I wouldn't be using the BX5as to make music, would I really find the sound in  the AV40s more pleasant to listen to? Also, since the BX5as are near field, would the AV40s be better for having something like an apartment party?

I'd really like a solution that doesn't require jumping up in price to the Audioengine A2s.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 6
The AV40's are smallllll. I'd go for the BX5a's, you'll appreciate the bigger woofer for low end response. Also I've read stuff about build quality issues with the AV40s.

There is a fallacy for monitors that they 'aren't nice' for music. A good monitor is no different from a good speaker, the only difference is the former is usually active and configured for listening at a closer distance, the latter passive and from further away. As monitors tend to be more focused on function over form, you generally have to spend less to get a more revealing sound, which obviously means if something was recorded badly, you're going to hear that more clearly. And hey, with monitors you usually get some build in EQ switches to tame desk reflections, bass boom and peaky treble (as the room is just as important in terms of what you end up hearing as the speakers) so you can adjust to suit.

I have Focal CMS50 monitors and I love the sound they make. If I had the money I'd get Focal Twin's or Event Opal's which are even more revealing (and way more expensive). I'm sold on active speakers for near-field listening.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you will love them.  And especially for that price! 
biggrin.gif

Also, they destroy the AV40s in all respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back