M-Audio BX5a
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ThumperSD

100+ Head-Fier
I found a set of these for sale for $100 online. The Craigslist pictures seem to show an old version of these speakers however:

bx5a_focus_big.jpg

These are the updated ones:
BX5ADELUXE.jpg

Besides the look of the monitors, are they any different in terms of sound quality? These things are selling for over $200 used online so if there is virtually no difference between the new and old version, Id love to pick them up for $100.

I already bought a set of AV40 last week but this deal seems too good to pass up

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 39

Quote:
I found a set of these for sale for $100 online. The Craigslist pictures seem to show an old version of these speakers however:

bx5a_focus_big.jpg

These are the updated ones:
BX5ADELUXE.jpg

Besides the look of the monitors, are they any different in terms of sound quality? These things are selling for over $200 used online so if there is virtually no difference between the new and old version, Id love to pick them up for $100.

I already bought a set of AV40 last week but this deal seems too good to pass up

I would pick them up. I wouldn't even hesitate. I have read that there isn't really much of a difference between the 2. Plus for $100?? You cannot beat that. You get them, I guarantee you stop using the AV40s.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
Thanks.. how much do you think I can sell my 1 week old AV40s for? It's practically new... only put 25 hours or so on them

I used my AV40s for over 6 months and still got $75 for them. I don't think you'll take that much of a hit on them. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 39

Quote:
Ok so what is the real difference between the two pictures? Is the second picture just an updated version or is it a deluxe version?

Its an updated version. Here is a little more:

Originally Posted by Lipaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The main difference can be read here:
M-AUDIO - Studiophile BX5a - 70 Watt Bi-Amplified Studio Reference Monitors
M-AUDIO - Studiophile BX5a Deluxe - 70-watt Bi-amplified Studio Reference Monitors

"The Studiophile BX5a Deluxe monitors update the best-selling M-Audio BX5a system with a variety of enhancements. The updated waveguide delivers excellent imaging. A new low-frequency transducer provides well-defined bass. Custom amplifier tuning enhances the integration between the high and low frequencies, delivering refined spectral balance and a smoother response. An elegant new industrial design completes the package."

I think in a category like this it is very hard to recognize any kind of slight difference with your ear. (It's not a change from Bx5a to Adam A7).

Both should serve a home-studio very well! If you have money, go for the newest.

Furthermore, look at this video...
YouTube - BT - This Binary Universe Interview from M-Audio
I know it's a commercial, but if these "older" monitors were good for mixing an orchestral-electronic album like "This Binary Universe", should be good for you too. And if you want real bass imaging, buy a BX10s as well. I think is a cost-effective 2.1 studio monitor set (real monitors in every sense of the word) for your home, than a much more expensive pair of monitors, even if they had better sound (but you can't afford it).

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
blah turns out there's a pending sale on them

oh well, I'll just enjoy my AV40s for now

Just saw this, contact them, and make like a $20 higher offer?? 

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 39

So deluxe is the same thing as the updated version?
Quote:
Just saw this, contact them, and make like a $20 higher offer?? 

Meh I see them for around $130 shipped on ebay so not a huge deal so it will give me time to think about it. I'll just use my AV40s for now and consider something else later.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
So deluxe is the same thing as the updated version?

Meh I see them for around $130 shipped on ebay so not a huge deal so it will give me time to think about it. I'll just use my AV40s for now and consider something else later.

Yeah, I think there were only design changes and some smaller adjustments. I haven't heard the BX5As, but I had the deluxe and absolutely loved them. They were far superior to the AV40s in every way. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
Yeah, I think there were only design changes and some smaller adjustments. I haven't heard the BX5As, but I had the deluxe and absolutely loved them. They were far superior to the AV40s in every way. 

Hey tmars78, when you turn off your BX5A's do they make a couple of quietish clicking sounds as the blue lights turn off?  Mine started doing that on the second day, one slightly more than the other but not sure if that's by design.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 39
I actually found another listing. Was able to work out a deal for $125 for BX5a DELUXE. Going to pick them tonight so hopefully will work out well.

Im very impressed with the AV40 already so I'll probably LOVE these once I get it. I still need a sub.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 39
Just got the babies! Turns out they are deluxe

Now I have questions about the cables. To connect them to my Asus Xonar DX, will I need 2x 3.5mm to RCA cables? And would any two generic power cables work for the speakers? Because I think I have a few from other devices laying around.

Is this the cable I need:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FEHO0U/ref=oss_product

I also believe I need 2x hosa cables. Please link me to those and let me know if I need one or two of them.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
Just got the babies! Turns out they are deluxe

Now I have questions about the cables. To connect them to my Asus Xonar DX, will I need 2x 3.5mm to RCA cables? And would any two generic power cables work for the speakers? Because I think I have a few from other devices laying around.

Is this the cable I need:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FEHO0U/ref=oss_product

I also believe I need 2x hosa cables. Please link me to those and let me know if I need one or two of them.

Congrats on your purchase!! And you'll need this cable:
http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-STEREO-3-5mm-TWO-XLR/dp/B000068OEO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1286510643&sr=8-7

And yes, any two generic power cords will work. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back