M-Audio BX5a V.S. Swans M200
Feb 13, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rx7_fan

500+ Head-Fier
I am deciding which speakers to get for my computer system. I want it to be small so I can put it on my glass desk; thus weight is some what of an issue. Please help me out, if you guys have any experience with the Bx5a or Swans M200, add your comments. I wonder which one will be better for music. Help me out, thanks.

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 8
I just got the m200 for my computer and am wondering what cables and or source would get best output for these babies, not the most expensive but the best for your money, or does it not make any difference with my computer with xfi soundcard. the m200's are money though

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the BX5a and they are quite nice -- they sound good and are solidly built. Even though they are certainly smaller than 8 inch bookshelves, they are quite a bit larger than your typical computer speaker. They also have some substantial weight. Now, I'm sure the dimensions and weight are posted somewhere online -- definitely consider these aspects.

The Swans M200 cost considerably less, and they don't nearly have all the 'features' of the bx5a that would tend to make it in the same class sonically. For instance, each bx5a speaker has a dedicated built in amp, is bi-amped, and so on. These things don't guarantee better sound quality, but they certainly help.

The other thing is you probably would want to consider speaker placement -- which is quite important. I don't think putting the speakers right on top of the desk is optimal. Ideally, they should be raised to about head level and not have any obstructions that might block their sound.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 8
If weight is an issue, you may want to get something else besides the M200. The right speaker (with the amp/controls/etc) quite heavy for the size. If you already have a CRT or an extremely heavy LCD, you may want to look elsewhere. Otherwise, the weight shouldn't be much of an issue. The sound is definately good for the price!

LMK if you want me to weigh them
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 8
If they are heavy, I might try to hang them on the wall. Right now, I'm seeing the BX5a at $299 (guitar center) and swans at $189 (newegg). I don't want a system that is too complicated, I just want something small for my room. I'm also going to get the EMU 0404 to pair them with these speakers, so an internal amp is a must.

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I have M200s. They sound so nice... beat anything in computer speakers I ever heard before, including klipsch promedia (for music: I'm not a gamer though, and bass may be an issue depending on how you set them up in your room).

Now, when I say anything I've heard before, I mean nothing more expensive than promedia or M200s... never have had the opportunity to audition others. But the midrange and highs on these speakers is really decent.

As for placement: don't hang them on the wall as they have rear ports and should be placed at least 6 inches from any wall (I guess if you have a shelf that would accommodate this config. on your wall then there you go) Besides, I'm trying to imagine something that you could hook them up with to support their weight. There are placement tricks you can try with rear ported speakers in order to get outstanding bass out of them... (I have no sub). Only works if you have to corners in your room that are no more than about 2 meters apart for M200s because of the length of the included cable. Place then angled against the corners, such that the rear forms a triangle with the corner. No guarantees though, all I can say is it worked for me.

Hope you can get something useful out of my post. Cheers,

Shion

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 8
For what it's worth, you probably won't spend quite that much on the BX5a at Guitar Center if you negotiate the price. I think you should come in right around $225.

BTW, do you have room on either side of the desk where you could put some stands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back