M-Audio bx5a newbie questions?
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

machartm

New Head-Fier

I need some questions answered.

I used own Logitech Z-2300 2.1 and was very happy with them, except for the mids were slightly sub-par. However, one day the volume controller pod took a crap, and I lost my left channel.

I'm now using like a $70 Logitech 5.1 system, and let me say I'm quite disappointed. Especially now that I've started collecting .flac and .wav audio I've realized that it's time to get rid of them.

I intend on upgrading to M-Audio bx5a speakers in the near future. And have some questions.

1) I don't use a USB DAC. Will I be loosing anything by not having something like this, and just plugging them directly into my computer using a 3.5mm to TS? I do however have an ASUS Xonar DX which is a $70-100 soundcard.

2) Though the left channel on the Z-2300 crapped out, the sub still works, which I still have.
It is connected via a 3.5mm. I would like to hook this up to my computer as well consider the bx5a's frequency response only goes down to 56hz, and starts to roll off around 80. Should I connect this into my center/sub channel on the sound card? or will that produce a "3.1" sound system with a center channel that's not actually there, OR just use a 3.5mm Y splitter, and then hook the sub in one, and then 3.5mm to TS cable into the left and right speakers of the bx5a?
Thank you.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 8
I wouldn't mix in a logitech sub with a BX5a if i were you
deadhorse.gif
Alternatively hit seperates i.e amp + floor standers for a 2.0 set up that could put some entry level 8-10" subwoofers to shame
gs1000.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 8
I've got budget, I'm a broke college student, I have the sub it's there, it's just sitting in my basement I figured I might as well use it. I rather have a 2.1 than a 2.0 with the bx5a, if I had $300 to drop on a nice sub I would, but I dont. I was just curious if its an appropriate means on hook them up? or is there a better method?

Also, the sub isn't THAT bad. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 8
I heard the BX8A at a local guitar center a couple months ago.  It sounded quite nice and I think doesn't really need a sub.  Why not spring for those instead of insisting on a sub+BX5A?  Also, Mackie MR8 MKII I'd probably rate higher than the M-Audios, and is a decent price too.  

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 8
I have the BX5's, Ive had to make a few repairs on them due to poor soldering at the power supply caps & the power supply caps themselves have started going bad. I replaced them all in all 4 speakers I have.  I understand the larger BX series speakers are even worse reliability wise.

The speakers in my avatar are the my BX5's

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I have Bx5a deluxes and Z-2200 and actually i really like when they're playing together.  I have a firewire 410 soundcard which has multiple outputs which enables me to play both of these together, i find that bx5a are a bit too harsh on highs yet very detailed, and z-2200s sound a bit muffled, with emphasis on lows, and when combined together I get the best of both worlds.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Well I'm not playing to run both at the same time like that.

This is my plan and i'm just curious if this would be acceptable. Or if I would suffer from any sound loss. Again the card is an Asus Xonar XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back