M-Audio: AV40 or BX5a?
Sep 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bloosnail11

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I know that the BX5A would be miles ahead of the AV40 on a well powered source, but my receiver only has 28W output per channel. Currently, I'm using a pair of Sony SS-B1000. They are rated at 120W Peak Power, so 60W RMS power (I think). It's a little quiet but that doesn't matter since I'm using it in my room for when I sleep. The BX5A are rated at 70W RMS per channel, so it would be even quieter. In addition, I'm using the cheapish subwoofer from the Logitech Z-313, so all the speakers are being stretched even more. So, my real question is: does it matter if the receiver's output is rated too low for the speakers, even though the volume is fine? Would a too low of an output not be able to drive the speakers to their full potential (sound quality-wise), or even damage/reduce the lifespan of the speakers? The AV40 are rated at 20W RMS per channel, so they would be fine. Thanks

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Those speakers have amplifiers built into them so there is no need to hook them up to youre receiver unless youre connecting them to the preamp outputs of youre receiver if it has the. The 70 watt RMS is the rating of the amplifier inside the speaker.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Oh, well I'm using a Sansa Clip+ as the source, so will the BX5a still be able to be driven? Also, how would I go about connecting the subwoofer if I didn't use a receiver?

Yes, the sansa will drive them fine. They are bi-amped, so all of the power to drive them comes from the speaker itself. And most subs, have a pass through, which means you can hook up the sub, and the sub will send the signal to the other speakers. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 11
The thing with studio monitors is that you also need to figure out how to control the volume.  Each speaker will have a volume knob on the back, but that knob is for setting the speaker to a standard reference volume (to match other speakers in the studio) and is not intended to be used for regular listening volume changing duties.  A studio will have a mixer or a monitor control station for changing the volume.

You'll need to find something to use to adjust the volume.  A cheap stereo mixer (as used by DJs), a used pre-amp, a passive volume knob, or something.  I use a Mackie Big Knob which is a $300 monitor control station (a studio oriented version of a pre-amp).

If you aren't familiar with that sort of gear and how to set it up then I would suggest getting something like the AudioEngine A5 which is an all in one setup.  It has an integrated volume knob, a mini-jack input for an mp3 player and a second input on the back for the computer.  All ready to go, even including a few necessary cables.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 11
So you're saying that the BX5a's volume control will override the Sansa Clip+'s/receiver's? The A5 are, from where I've looked, a good $100 more so I would rather go with the BX5a. Currently, my plan is: 

Sansa Clip+>Receiver>3.5mm output to TRS>BX5a
                             >RCA subwoofer output>RCA to 3.5mm>Z-313 Subwoofer

Also, how do I check if the subwoofer has a pass through? It's originally from a 2.1 computer system; the total price was only like $45. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 11
What kind of receiver are you going to use?
Some receivers allow you to use the receiver as a pre-amp (bypass the power-amp section of the receiver).  If your receiver can do that then the receiver will work to be able to control the volume of the BX5a.  Many receivers though don't allow for that sort of configuration.

The volume knobs on the back of the BX5a are there to set a maximum reference volume.  They don't override the volume control on the Sansa or make the volume control on the Sansa useless.  They just set what maximum volume can be reached.  You can set them at full volume, or half volume, or whatever you want.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm using a JVC FS-SD5. I don't think it has a pre-amp out nor a line-out, so I won't be able to change the volume with the receiver? That is, only the Sansa will be able to control the volume? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just not really understanding this.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 11
I cannot find a picture of the rear of the JVC FS-SD5. Neither can I find any printed info on how it is connected to other gear. It's a music centre.

If you want further help you will need to take a photo of the back plate with your phone and load it up here.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 11
None of the rear output connectors can be both connected to the BX5a and retain volume control on the JVC. Using the BX5a and the logitech subwoofer together also poses difficulties.

So you have to choose from  2 main alternatives.

Buy a monitor controller to sit between the JVC/Sansa and the BX5a. Prices start at around $50 for the SM Pro Audio nano patch, TC Electronic level pilotor the Genelec 9000 AP.

Or better imo. Buy a cheap and cheerful audio interface such as the E-MU 0202 or M-Audio fast Track which cost around $100. Berhinger might do one even cheaper.

This will serve you well into the future and  counts as an investment. If you are really strapped for cash now then save money on the speakers by choosing less expensive models now. Perhaps from the Samson, Fostex or Berhinger ranges.

This way you can connect everything to the audio interface permanently. Computer via USB (or S/PDIF if you are an audiophool), JVC and Sansa via mini jack  > jack plug. Then use the volume control on the interface as the master. You can also connect the subwoofer to one of the multiple outs on the interface.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back