M-Audio Audiophile USB
Oct 21, 2006 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

brospin

100+ Head-Fier
Is the M-Audio USB Audiophile a real audiophile solution? Can it be used as soundcard + DAC, take the analog line out and have audiophile quality?

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Most people here would consider it a very good transport with good digital output abilities, and its own power supply separate from USB power. That being said, however, I believe its analog output abilities leave a lot to be desired.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I think it also depends greatly on where you are coming from (in other words, if it is an upgrade or simply a sideways move). For example, I ran my music through foobar from the PC to a USB DAC/Amp. It had to do so through Direct Sound.

I just got an Edirol UA-1EX. Even though it does not have a separate PSU, it still sounds exceedingly better than before. I now use it connected via USB, with ASIO, and analog RCA from the Edirol to my amps. At a later stage I may add a DAC and run digital from the Edirol to the DAC and RCA from DAC to amps which will also be a step up I am sure (needless to say the Edirol may be good but its DAC capabitilies will be very limited compared to a standalone/external DAC).

Cheers,
X

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon
I think it also depends greatly on where you are coming from (in other words, if it is an upgrade or simply a sideways move). For example, I ran my music through foobar from the PC to a USB DAC/Amp. It had to do so through Direct Sound.

I just got an Edirol UA-1EX. Even though it does not have a separate PSU, it still sounds exceedingly better than before. I now use it connected via USB, with ASIO, and analog RCA from the Edirol to my amps. At a later stage I may add a DAC and run digital from the Edirol to the DAC and RCA from DAC to amps which will also be a step up I am sure (needless to say the Edirol may be good but its DAC capabitilies will be very limited compared to a standalone/external DAC).

Cheers,
X

Right now I am using similar components as you: Edirol UA-1X Toslink out -> Spitfire DAC -> Headfive. I want to upgrade to have a good USB to SPDIF conversion and then access the DAC via SPDIF. In the future I plan to upgrade the DAC.

Oct 21, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 6
If the USB and firewire versions sound similar, then I'd consider them solid entries into the low end of "audiophile". Whatever that means. . . I was perfectly happy with my Maudio firewire until I bought a Benchmark DAC1. I suspect one day I'll find something I like even more, but for now I'd rather spend my money on more music.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by brospin
Is the M-Audio USB Audiophile a real audiophile solution? Can it be used as soundcard + DAC, take the analog line out and have audiophile quality?

The digital/SPDIF stage is excellent.

The analog stage is much better than stock onboard sound chips, but of course any decent external DAC (ie. the Zhaolu) would take it up another level. I find the analog a little grainy and tizzy, with recessed bass. I was listening with my Grados without an amp, so I don't know if it was the DAC or the onboard amp.

It might pair well with a more veiled headphone.

The good news is it's certainly not a wasted investment, because once you decide to move up to an external DAC it does make a very good SPDIF source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back